Top
header Notes Collection

100 Rubles 1993, Russia

in Krause book Number: 254
Years of issue: 26.01.1993
Edition: --
Signatures: no signature
Serie: 1993 Issue
Specimen of: 1993
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 128 х 56
Printer: Goznak, Московская печатная фабрика - филиал ФГУП "Гознак", Москва

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

100 Rubles 1993

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Wavy lines, between which are five-pointed stars.

Avers:

100 Rubles 1993

senat tower

The Senate (Senatskaya) Tower with Russian flag on top of Senate building.

This gateless, quadrangular defensive tower was built between the Spasskaya (then Frolovskaya) and Nikolskaya towers in 1491, by architect Pietro Antonio Solari. As with most of the other Kremlin towers, a tent roof was added in the late XVII century. Inside the tower are three levels of vaulted chambers. The tower's principal function was defensive, and for a long time it remained nameless. It became known as the Senate Tower only in 1790, after the construction of the Kremlin's Senate building.

A memorial plaque by sculptor S. Konenkov was mounted on the tower in 1918 above the site of a mass grave of Bolsheviks who were killed during the October Revolution. Now in the museum, the dedication reads "To Those Who fell in the Struggle for Peace and the Brotherhood of Nations".

The dome of the Senate is visible from Red Square.

The Kremlin Senate (Russian: Сенатский дворец) is a building within the grounds of the Moscow Kremlin in Russia. Initially constructed from 1776 to 1787, it originally housed the Moscow branch of the Governing Senate, the highest judiciary and legislative office of Imperial Russia. Currently, it houses the Russian presidential administration and is a highly secured and restricted area closed to the public. At present, only the southern corner façade, opposite the Tsar Cannon can be viewed.

The flag of the Russian Federation is a tricolor flag consisting of three equal horizontal fields; white on the top, blue in the middle and red on the bottom.

On the left, two numbers "100" are located at the top and bottom at an angle. On the right there is a large denomination of nominal value - the number "100", under which the words "HUNDRED RUBLES" are written in a semicircle in a semicircle, the horizontal inscription "BANK OF RUSSIA" above the face value. Above and below there are two bands with a repeated microtext "100 SRT". On the right coupon field at the top is the emblem of the Bank of Russia of the old model (stylized letters "CBR"), at the bottom of the socket indicating the banknote sample "1993" inside the year.

Revers:

100 Rubles 1993

Kremlin

The image on the banknote is made from the Moskvoretsky bridge, from a bird's eye view. Many thanks to Julia from Moscow for the photo and explanation - from which point the sketch was made.

To the left is the Senate Palace.

In the center - The Konstantino-Eleninskaya Tower, The Nabatnaya Tower, The Tsarskaya Tower, Spasskaya Tower of the Kremlin.

Right - Vasilyevsky descent.

Now about these objects in more detail:

The Senate Palace was already written in the description of the obverse.

Kremlin

The Konstantino-Eleninskaya Tower (Russian: Константино-Еленинская башня) is a tower on the eastern wall of the Kremlin, overlooking the so-called Basil Descent (Васильевский спуск), which begins at the Red Square and ends at the Moscow River. The tower was built in 1490 by an Italian architect Pietro Antonio Solari on the spot of gates to the whitestone Kremlin. It was named after the Church of Konstantine and Elena in the Kremlin (second half of the XVII century), which would be demolished by the Soviets in 1928. The Konstantino-Eleninskaya Tower had its own gates and a lift bridge, protected by guards at all times. In the late 18th century - early 19th century the gates were bricked up and the bridge was dismantled. The tower's height is 36.8 meters (121 ft.).

The Nabatnaya Tower (Russian: Набатная башня) is a tower in the southeastern section of the Kremlin wall, built in 1495. It is 38 meters (125 ft.) in height. Traditionally, there has always been a bell on top of the Nabatnaya Tower, used for notifying citizens of fires and other misfortunes in the Kremlin or on the Red Square (hence, the name Nabatnaya, which derives from the old Russian word набат - nabat, meaning "alarm" or "tocsin"). In 1680, a bellmaker Feodor Dmitriev cast the so-called Nabatny bell (alarm bell) weighing 150 poods (2.45 metric tons) and installed it on the tower. The bell subsequently broke and was re-cast by Ivan Motorin on 30 July 1714. The sound from this bell served as a signal for the spontaneous uprising of the Muscovites during the plague outbreak in 1771, which would later be called the Plague Riot (Чумной бунт). By the order of Catherine the Great, the tongue of the bell was removed after this incident. The tongueless bell remained on top of the tower for 30 more years. In the early XIX century, it was removed and transferred to the Arsenal. In 1821, the bell was moved to the Armoury, where it remains to this day in the vestibule.

The Tsarskaya Tower (Russian: Царская башня, translated as "Tsar's tower") is the youngest and smallest tower of all, built in 1680. It is not a tower per se, it is rather a stone terem, a tent-shaped chamber placed directly on top of the wall. Previously, there was a small wooden turret, from which, according to legend, tsar Ivan IV liked to observe what was happening on the Red Square. Hence the name, the Tsar's Tower. The white stone bands around the posts, tall corner pyramids with gilt flags and tent roof topped with an elegant gilt weather vane make the tower look like some structure from a fairy tale.

The Spasskaya Tower (Russian: Спасская башня, translated as "Saviour Tower") is the main tower with a through-passage on the eastern wall of the Moscow Kremlin, which overlooks the Red Square.

The Spasskaya Tower was built in 1491 by the Italian architect Pietro Antonio Solari. Initially, it was named the Frolovskaya Tower after the Church of Frol and Lavr in the Kremlin (no longer there). The tower's modern name comes from the icon of Spas Nerukotvorny (The Saviour Not Made by Hands), which was placed above the gates on the inside wall in 1658 (it was removed in 1917) and the wall-painted icon of Spas Smolensky (Smolensky Saviour), which was created in the 16th century on the outside wall of tower (plastered over in 1937, reopened and restored in 2010). The Spasskaya Tower was the first one to be crowned with the hipped roof in 1624–1625 by architects Bazhen Ogurtsov and Christopher Galloway (a Scottish architect and clockmaker). According to a number of historical accounts, the clock on the Spasskaya Tower appeared between 1491 and 1585. It is usually referred to as the Kremlin chimes (Кремлёвские куранты) and designates official Moscow Time.

The tower gate was once the main entrance into the Kremlin. In tsarist times, anyone passing through the gates had to remove their headgear and dismount their horses. This tradition was broken in the Soviet era. Cars approached the gate head on from the place of skulls and the road beside the GUM department store. In order to pass through the gate, you had to be a head of state, top politburo member, or top government member. All other traffic was routed through the borovistky gate. The Spassky Gate posed an issue following the collapse of communism. In the new capitalist and market-based economy, the passage of vehicles disrupted the flow of pedestrians to GUM and other shopping centers, even though few vehicles actually passed through the gate each day. In 1999, the decision was made to finally close the gate to all traffic. The signal lights and guard platforms still remain. The gate is used occasionally when repairs must be made to the borovissky gate. However, in that case, all traffic is routed from vasilievsky spusk. Nowadays, the gate opens to receive the presidential motorcades on inauguration day, for the victory parades, and to receive the new years tree.

On top of the gates of the tower there was inscribed the following inscription: IOANNES VASILII DEI GRATIA MAGNUS DUX VOLODIMERIAE, MOSCOVIAE, NOVOGARDIAE, TFERIAE, PLESCOVIAE, VETICIAE, ONGARIAE, PERMIAE, BUOLGARIAE ET ALIAS TOTIUSQ(UE) RAXIE D(OMI)NUS, A(N)NO 30 IMPERII SUI HAS TURRES CO(N)DERE F(ECIT) ET STATUIT PETRUS ANTONIUS SOLARIUS MEDIOLANENSIS A(N)NO N(ATIVIT) A(TIS) D(OM)INI 1491 K(ALENDIS) M(ARTIIS) I(USSIT) P(ONERE).[1] (Ivan Vasiliyevich, by the grace of God Grand Duke of Vladimir, Moscow, Novgorod, etc. etc.)

In 1935, the Soviet government installed a red star instead of a two-headed eagle on top of the Spasskaya Tower. The height of the tower with the star is 71 m. In August 2010 the icon of Smolensk Saviour was uncovered and restored above the gate.

vasilevskii spusk

On right side is The Vasilyevsky Descent.

The Vasilievsky Descent Square is one of the most famous squares in Moscow, located between the Red Square and the Kremlin embankment of the Moskva River.

On Vasilyevsky Descent, an incalculable number of festive, festive and sporting events passes, but even on days when they do not smell, the square attracts the attention of Muscovites and tourists, giving visitors the opportunity to contemplate one of the most recognizable views of Moscow.

Interestingly, for all its fame and certain "openness" of species, Vasilievsky descent can claim the title of the most underestimated area of ​​the capital: surprisingly, many of those who have repeatedly heard this name do not really know exactly where the Vasilyevsky Descent is located and believe that this place is just a site of Red Square. This paradox has a very real justification: the fact is that in 1924 the territory was annexed to Red Square, and the historical name of the place, formerly known as Vasilyevskaya Square, was forgotten until 1995, when the squares were again disconnected.

By its name, the Vasilievsky Descent Square is due to the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which is on the Moat - or, as the people used to call it, the St. Basil's Cathedral. A unique Orthodox church, a bright monument of Russian architecture, was built in 1555-1561 and became one of the most recognizable symbols of Moscow.

The area on which the square is located has a long and interesting history. Historically, in the past, the territory of the modern square did not have any specific name and was not perceived by Muscovites as a separate territorial unit. In the 16th century, there was a muddy courtyard (something like a medieval customs house), later houses and shops were built on the territory, which were located up to the very moat that surrounded the Kremlin at that time. The square was formed in the beginning of the XIX century: after the fire of 1812, the city was visited by numerous reconstructions, one of which touched also local places: the moat was covered and the territory was cleared. It was then that the descent actually became a descent, taking shape in a street with an inclined relief about 300 meters in length. The buildings built on the territory of the modern square were preserved until 1936, when they were destroyed for the construction of the Bolshoy Moskvoretsky Bridge connecting Vasilyevsky Slope with Bolshaya Ordynka Street.

It is noteworthy that one of the most famous incidents of the late Soviet era is associated with Vasilievsky Descent: in 1987, a light-engine aircraft of the German pilot Matthias Rust, who crossed the border of the Soviet Union and all the lines of the Moscow air defense, took place, which caused a great international scandal. There are many versions of what happened, but it is customary to assume that the Germans were not expected, and the aircraft was not seen by the Soviet military.

Anyway, now jokes and anecdotes about Sheremetyevo-3 are gone, and the townspeople and tourists come to Vasilyevsky descent not at all in order to ponostalgize about Rust's flight. The square goes along the Kremlin wall and boasts an excellent view of St. Basil's Cathedral, walls and towers (including Spassky), Moscow River; along the wall there is a cozy lime walkway. The modern Vasilyevsky Descent is an important tourist point, and today it is difficult to overestimate its importance in Moscow culture - even if some Muscovites forget about it.

Around the frame on three sides (except the bottom left edge) at an angle are the numbers "100". Below the entire width of the note (with indentations on the sides) stretches a horizontal pattern, on top of which the denomination is indicated in words - "HUNDRED RUBLES". On the left coupon field at the top there is a three-line inscription - "FALSIFICATION OF BANKNOTES OF THE BANK OF RUSSIA WILL BE PERSECUTED BY LAW", below is the number "100", above which the series and number of the banknote.

Comments:

Put into circulation on January 26, 1993 in addition to the Soviet-style bills, from July 26, 1993, remained the only legal means of payment of this denomination. In circulation they were formally before the 1998 reform, but in fact they lost their payment value and were gradually replaced by coins.