Top
header Notes Collection

1000 Mark 1919. IV Issue. Series II. Letter C, Germany

in Krause book Number: 45b
Years of issue: 04.1919 - 08.1919
Edition: 3 580 000
Signatures: Reichsbankdirektorium: Havenestein, v. Glasenapp, Schmiedicke, Korn, Maron, v. Lumm, v. Grimm, Kauffmann, Schneider, Budczies
Serie: 1910 Issue
Specimen of: 21.04.1910
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 187 x 110
Printer: Reichsdruckerei, Kreuzberger Oranienstraße 91, Berlin (from 06.07.1879 till 03.02.1945)

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

1000 Mark 1919. IV Issue. Series II. Letter C

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Two denominations 1000 are on right and left sides, at the top. At the bottom - letters "R.B.D" (Reichsbanknote Deutschland - Imperial German banknote).

Avers:

1000 Mark 1919. IV Issue. Series II. Letter C

On right and left sides are flowerish design.

At top, on background is the Imperial German coat of arms (please read in reverse section)

Centered, on right and left sides, are the inscriptions: "Wer Banknoten nachmacht oder verfälscht, oder nachgemachte oder verfälschte sich verschafft und in Verkehr bringt, wird mit Zuchthaus nicht unter zwei Jahren bestraft."

In English:

"Anyone who imitates or distorts banknotes, or imitates or falsifies himself and puts them on the market, will be punished in a official house not less than two years."

Also, centered, is the inscription: "1000 marks will be paid by the Reichsbank, in Berlin, without showing any identity card, to the bearer of this note. Berlin, April 21, 1910"

Revers:

1000 Mark 1919. IV Issue. Series II. Letter C

The main image - The state emblem of the German Empire. Above the coat of arms is the Imperial Crown of the Holy Roman Empire.

On right side is the allegory of Agriculture.

On left side - the allegory of Navigation (independent leadership of the country).

Extract from the state decree:

"In accordance with the decision of the Imperial Government, I hereby confirm that the federal emblem represents in the golden field of the one-headed black eagle looking to the right, with straightened wings, but with feathers folded, beak, tongue and paws - red."

crown

The Imperial Crown of the Holy Roman Empire (German: Reichskrone) was the hoop crown (German: Bügelkrone) of the Holy Roman Emperor from the XI century to the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire in 1806. The crown was used in the coronation of the King of the Romans, the title assumed by the Emperor-elect immediately after his election. It was made in the late X or early XI century. Unlike many other crowns, it has an octagonal rather than a circular shape, and is constructed from eight hinged plates. The plate in the front of the crown is surmounted by a cross, with a single arch linking it to a plate at the rear of the crown. The crown is now exhibited at the Hofburg in Vienna.

The crown was made probably somewhere in Western Germany, either under Otto I (with additions by Conrad II), by Conrad II or Conrad III during the late 10th and early 11th centuries. The first preserved mention of it is from the XII century—assuming it is the same crown, which seems very probable.

Most of the Kings of the Romans of the Holy Roman Empire were crowned with it. Along with the Imperial Cross (German: Reichskreuz), the Imperial Sword (German: Reichsschwert), and the Holy Lance (German: Heilige Lanze), the crown was the most important part of the Imperial Regalia (German: Reichskleinodien). During the coronation, it was given to the new king along with the sceptre (German: Reichszepter) and the Imperial Orb (German: Reichsapfel). The Imperial Regalia of the Holy Roman Empire, especially the Imperial Crown, were kept from 1349-1421 in Bohemia (now in the Czech Republic), where the Carlstein Castle was built to protect them. Between 1424-1796 they were all kept in Nuremberg, Franconia - and could only leave the city for the coronation.

Currently, the crown and the rest of the Imperial Regalia are exhibited at the Hofburg in Vienna—officially "until there is again a Holy Roman Emperor of the German Nation".

An identical copy is in Aachen in Germany in the Krönungssaal of Charlemagne's former palace, now the town hall. There are also copies of the crown and regalia in the historic museum of Frankfurt, as most of the later Emperors were crowned in the cathedral of the city, as well in the fortress of Trifels in the Electorate of the Palatinate, where the Imperial Crown was stored in medieval times. The newest authorised copy is kept in the Czech castle of Karlštejn along with a copy of the Crown of Saint Wenceslas.

On right and left sides are bus-reliefs with boy and flowers. The location of this bus-relief till now is not found.

Denominations are on right and left sides. Also, many denominations are in circles, around the frame.

Comments:

Banknotes of the first and second issues were printed with two red and green seals.

Red seals - meant free exchange for gold.

Green seals - not covered by gold.