header Notes Collection
Top

10 Rupees 1973, Mauritius

in Krause book Number: P31c
Years of issue: 1973 - 1979
Edition: 50 000 000
Signatures: Governor of the Bank: Mr. Goorpersad Bunwaree, Managing director: Mr. Indurduth Ramphul
Serie: 1967 Issue
Specimen of: 1967
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 146 x 84
Printer: TDLR (Thomas de la Rue & Company), London

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

10 Rupees 1973

Description

Watermark:

watermark

The Dodo (Raphus cucullatus) is an extinct flightless bird that was endemic to the island of Mauritius, east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean. Its closest genetic relative was the also extinct Rodrigues Solitaire, the two forming the subfamily Raphinae of the family of pigeons and doves.

The closest living relative of the Dodo is the Nicobar Pigeon. A white Dodo was once incorrectly thought to have existed on the nearby island of Réunion.

Subfossil remains show the Dodo was about 1 meter (3.3 feet) tall and may have weighed 10-18 kg (22-40 lb) in the wild. The Dodo's appearance in life is evidenced only by drawings, paintings and written accounts from the XVII century.

Avers:

10 Rupees 1973

HM The Queen

This widely used portrait of the Queen is adapted from a painting by Pietro Annigoni. HM standing regally with a distant, but lonely aspect. The portrait is regarded by many as one of the finest portrayals of the young Queen.

It was privately commissioned by the „Worshipful Company of Fishmongers” in 1954, but not completed until 1956. The Queen displayed in white portrait room at Buckingham Palace. The painting is now displayed in Fishmongers Hall, in London.

The engraving on banknote made from this portrait.

HM depicted in Mantle of the Order of the Garter.

One of the most distinctive pieces of the wardrobe of the Most Noble Order of the Garter - England's highest chivalric order - is the Mantle, sometimes referred to as a robe, cloak, or cape. The Mantle has been used in one form or another, with varying fabrics and colors, since the 15th century. The current version is made of dark blue velvet lined with white taffeta and is accented by a red velvet hood (also lined with white taffeta), elaborate cords for closure, and white ribbons at the shoulders. The Garter Collar, with the Great George as a pendant (not visible in the portrait), is draped over the Mantle across the shoulders. (Her Majesty’s Jewel vault)

Order of the Garter

Various legends account for the origin of the Order. The most popular legend involves the "Countess of Salisbury" (either Edward's future daughter-in-law Joan of Kent or her former mother-in-law, Catherine Montacute, Countess of Salisbury). While she was dancing at a court ball at Calais, her garter is said to have slipped from her leg. When the surrounding courtiers sniggered, the king picked it up and returned it to her, exclaiming: "Honi soit qui mal y pense," ("Shamed be the person who thinks evil of it."), the phrase that has become the motto of the Order.

A representation of a blue garter adorned with the motto of the Order of the Garter (Honi soit qui mal y pense, "Shame on he who thinks ill of it") can be seen on various items worn by members of the Order, but a far more rare sight today is the actual Garter that comes along with the rest of the insignia. The Garter is made of a blue fabric embellished with the Order's motto and closed with a buckle. The materials and design can vary (blue velvet and diamonds or blue silk and gold, for example). (Her Majesty’s Jewel vault)

On the left shoulder of Her Majesty is the Order of the Garter Star.

Order of the Garter Star

This star was given to The Queen (when Princess Elizabeth) by King George VI at the time of her investiture with the Order of the Garter in 1947. The star (and accompanying badge) were originally a present from the Royal Navy to the King (when Duke of York) at the time of his wedding in 1923. The Queen wore the badge and star with the Coronation Dress during her Commonwealth tour of 1953-1954.

The Queen, as Sovereign of the Order, has a fancier Mantle than the rest of the members: hers has the longest train, which requires two Pages of Honour to manage, and a Garter Star. The rest of the members wear a Mantle with a sewn on patch depicting the heraldic shield of St. George's Cross encircled by the famous blue garter which bears the Order's motto, “Honi soit qui mal y pense” ("Shame on he who thinks ill of it"). The Queen's Mantle has a bejeweled Garter Star of metal. (The Royal Tour)

Queen Alexandra’s Cluster Earrings

She is also wearing Queen Alexandra’s Cluster Earrings. The wedding gift from the future King Edward VII to his bride, Alexandra of Denmark. Also known as Queen Alexandra's Cluster Earrings, these two button earrings have large pearls surrounded by diamonds - 10 larger stones each plus smaller filler stones to create a full diamond ring. Like the brooch, these passed to the Queen via Queen Mary. They're now worn primarily at evening functions.

coat of arms of Mauritius

The coat of arms of Mauritius is stipulated in the "Mauritius Laws 1990 Vol.2 SCHEDULE (Section 2)". The arms were designed by the Mayor of Johannesburg in 1906, Johann Van Der Puf. In the lower right quarter is a key and on the left-hand side is a white star, which are referred to in the Latin motto “Stella Clavisque Maris Indici” meaning “The Star and the Key of the Indian Ocean“.

Blazon:

The armorial ensigns and supporters of Mauritius are described as:

(a) for arms- Quarterly azure and gold.In the first quarter a gold Lymphad.

In the second, 3 palm trees vertical.

In the third, a key in pale the wards downwards gules.

In the Issuant, from the base a pile, and in chief a mullet argent.

(b) for the supporters-On the Dexter side, a dodo per bend sinister embattled gules and argent, and, on the sinister side, a Sambar deer per bend embattled argent and gules, each supporting a sugar cane erect properly.

(c) with the motto "Stella Clavisque Maris Indici” (Star and Key of the Indian Ocean).

Denominations in Western numerals are in the lower left and upper right corners. In the upper left and lower right corners - in Bhojpuri language.

Bhojpuri is an Indo-Aryan language spoken in Bhojpuri region of North India and Nepal. It is chiefly spoken in the Purvanchal region of Uttar Pradesh, in the western part of state of Bihar, and the northwestern part of Jharkhand in India. Bhojpuri is also spoken widely in Guyana, Suriname, Fiji, and Mauritius. It is one of the national languages of Guyana, Fiji, and Suriname.

The variant of Bhojpuri of the Indo-Surinamese is also referred to as Sarnami Hindustani, Sarnami Hindi or just Sarnami and has experienced considerable Creole and Dutch lexical influence. More Indians in Suriname know Bhojpuri, whereas in Guyana and Trinidad the language is largely forgotten. In Mauritius a dialect of Bhojpuri remains in use, and it is locally called Bojpury.

Revers:

10 Rupees 1973

Government HouseThe Government House in Port Louis, Mauritius.

The Government House in Port Louis is one of the oldest building we can find still standing graciously and dates back since the French colony. Whilst it wasn’t originally like it looks today, the Government House began construction under the first french governors of the island, namely Nicolas de Maupin (1729-1735) and Mahé de Labourdonnais (1735-1746) and served as the residence of the latter. It served as the venue for the Governor’s official business, as well as the many receptions and functions hosted by the occupant.

Mahé de La Bourdonnais established Port Louis as a naval base and a shipbuilding centre. Under his governorship, numerous buildings were built, a number of which still stand today: part of Government House, the Chateau de Mon Plaisir at Pamplemousses and the Line Barracks. The island was under the administration of the French East India Company which maintained its presence until 1767.

Originally the building consisted of a wooden compartment covered with palm leaves and in time this structure was replaced by a one-storey building during the times of Nicolas de Maupin. Mahé de Labourdonnais later converted this part into a larger surface area at the ground floor in 1738 and the building was then named Hôtel du Gouvernement. With time and under the colonies of both the french and the british the building knew even more changes and additions to take the final form of what we know today. The front view of the Government House lands on the Place D’Armes and the harbour, and can be said to be the heart of the city. (vintagemauritius.org)

The name to the city was given by the Governor De Nyon, it is mainly said the city has been named in honour of the King Louis XV and others say that it is in memory of the Port Louis Brittany.

Also, on banknote can be seen 2 statues, installed in front of Government House - to HM The Queen Victoria and to colonial administrator Sir William Stevenson (behind Queens statue).

More about these 2 monuments:

10 rupees Mauritius 10 rupees Mauritius 10 rupees MauritiusThe monument to Sir William Stevenson - the 9th Governor of Mauritius from 20 September 1857 to 9 January 1863.

Bronze statue, made by Mauritius sculptor Prosper d’Épinay (1836-1914), finished in 1864.

10 rupees Mauritius 10 rupees MauritiusThe monument to Sir William Stevenson was installed in 1864.

Sir William Stevenson KCB (1805 - 9 February 1863) was a Jamaican-born British colonial administrator who served as the 9th Governor of Mauritius from 20 September 1857 to 9 January 1863.

He was born to one of the oldest English families on Jamaica. He was the son of William James Stevenson of Kingston. His mother (née James) was descended from Colonel Richard James, who was the first person born of English parents in British Jamaica. Stevenson's grandmother (née Lawrence) was descended from Henry Lawrence, President of Cromwell's Council of State, whose son founded a plantation in Jamaica in the XVII century.

Stevenson was a barrister. He first served as superintendent of British Honduras from 1854-1857 before being appointed Governor of Mauritius in May 1857.

He was invested as a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath in 1862.

He married a Miss Allwood, and had a son, William Lawrence Stevenson, and a daughter, who married Colonel Sir Francis Marindin. He married secondly Caroline Octavia Biscoe, and their son was Francis Seymour Stevenson, M.P.

He died of dysentery in 1863.

10 rupees Mauritius 10 rupees MauritiusThe monument to HM The Queen Victoria in front of Government House, Mauritius. The inscription on says: "To the memory of beloved and much regretted Queen Victoria Empress of India The Inhabitants of Mauritius".

Many thanks to the following pages for some photos and info:

trove.nla.gov.au

dagtho.blogspot.de

Denominations in Bhojpuri language are in the lower left and upper right corners. In the upper left and lower right corners - in Western numerals.

Comments:

200 rupees 2007200 rupees 2007

The image of the Dodo is present on some coins of Mauritius. I have one such coin. It is 200 Rupees 2007, dedicated to the 40th Anniversary of Bank of Mauritius

TDLR Portrait Bradbury Wilkinson Portrait De La Rue version of the portrait. In this version, the darker shading on the side of The Queen's face below her temple has a distinct edge, highlighting her cheekbone. In addition, the braid on her cloak is drawn more simply and regularly.

Bradbury Wilkinson version of the portrait. The distinguishing features of this portrait are the even shading on side of The Queen's face, below her temple, and the distinct highlights given to the braid on the front of Her cloak, which originates from the bow on Her left shoulder.