header Notes Collection
Top

100 Francs 1986, Luxembourg

in Krause book Number: 58a
Years of issue: 15.06.1986
Edition:
Signatures: Institut Monétaire Luxembourgeois: Pierre Jaans, Ministre du Tresor: Jacques Poos
Serie: 1985 - 1993 Issue
Specimen of: 1980
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 142 х 76
Printer: Bradbury, Wilkinson & Company Limited Engravers, London

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

100 Francs 1986

Description

Watermark:

Jean

Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg.

Avers:

100 Francs 1986

100 Francs 1986

Jean (given names: Jean Benoît Guillaume Robert Antoine Louis Marie Adolphe Marc d'Aviano; born 5 January 1921) reigned as Grand Duke of Luxembourg from 1964 until his abdication in 2000. He is the father of the current ruler, Grand Duke Henri, and the son of Grand Duchess Charlotte and Prince Felix of Bourbon-Parma.

Jean was born on 5 January 1921, at Berg Castle, in central Luxembourg, the son of Grand Duchess Charlotte and of Prince Félix of Bourbon-Parma. Among his godparents was Pope Benedict XV, who gave him his second name. He attended primary school in Luxembourg, where he continued the initial stage of secondary education. He completed secondary school at Ampleforth College, a Roman Catholic boarding school in the United Kingdom. Upon reaching maturity, on 5 January 1938, he was styled 'Hereditary Grand Duke', recognizing his status as heir apparent.

On 10 May 1940, Germany invaded Luxembourg, beginning a four-year occupation. Having been warned of an imminent invasion, the Grand Ducal Family escaped the previous night. At first, they sought refuge in Paris, before fleeing France only weeks later. The Grand Ducal Family sought refuge in the United States, renting an estate in Brookville, New York. Jean studied Law and Political Science at Université Laval, Quebec City.

He joined the British Army as a volunteer in the Irish Guards in November 1942. After receiving officer training at the Royal Military College at Sandhurst, Jean was commissioned as a Lieutenant in July 1943, before being promoted to captain in 1944. He landed in Normandy on 11 June 1944, and took part in the Battle for Caen and the liberation of Brussels. On 10 September 1944, he took part in the liberation of Luxembourg before moving on to Arnhem and the invasion of Germany. After the war, from 1984 until his abdication, he served as Colonel of the Regiment of the Irish Guards, often riding in uniform behind Queen Elizabeth II during the Sovereign's Birthday Parade.

He was named Lieutenant-Representative of the Grand Duchess on 28 April 1961.

He became Grand Duke when his mother, the Grand Duchess Charlotte, abdicated on 12 November 1964. The same day, he was made a General of the Luxembourg Army.

Grand Duke Jean abdicated on 7 October 2000, and was succeeded on the throne by his son Henri. Grand Duke Jean now lives at Fischbach Castle. On 27 December 2016, Grand Duke Jean was hospitalized due to bronchitis and was discharged from hospital on 4 January 2017, a day before he celebrated his 96th birthday. The Grand Duke Jean Museum of Modern Art (Mudam) bears his name.

He was married in Luxembourg on 9 April 1953 to Joséphine-Charlotte of Belgium, daughter of Leopold III, King of the Belgians. They had three sons and two daughters: Princess Marie-Astrid (born 1954), Grand Duke Henri (born 1955),[2] who ascended to the grand ducal throne in 2000, Prince Jean (born 1957), Princess Margaretha (born 1957), and Prince Guillaume (born 1963).

5 January 1921 – 12 November 1964: His Royal Highness The Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Hereditary Prince of Nassau, Prince of Bourbon-Parma

12 November 1964 – 7 October 2000: His Royal Highness The Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Duke of Nassau

7 October 2000 – present: His Royal Highness Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg, Duke of Nassau

His full title is "by the Grace of God, Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Duke of Nassau, Count Palatine of the Rhine, Count of Sayn, Königstein, Katzenelnbogen and Diez, Burgrave of Hammerstein, Lord of Mahlberg, Wiesbaden, Idstein, Merenberg, Limburg and Eppstein." Many of the titles are held without regard to the strict rules of salic inheritance.

Palais grand-ducal

On background is the Grand Ducal Palace and part of the Parliament building (Chambre des députés), in Luxembourg City.

The Grand Ducal Palace (Luxembourgish: Groussherzogleche Palais, French: Palais grand-ducal, German: Großherzogliches Palais) is a palace in Luxembourg City, in southern Luxembourg. It is the official residence of the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, and where he performs most of his duties as head of state of the Grand Duchy.

The building was first the city hall of Luxembourg from 1572 to 1795, the seat of the prefecture of the Département des Forêts in 1795, and then the headquarters of the Luxembourg Government in 1817.

From 1817, the palace became the residence of the Governor, the representative of the Dutch Grand Dukes. As such, it was used by Prince Henry, during his time as Lieutenant-Representative of Luxembourg. The building's interior was renovated in 1883, in preparation of a visit by Grand Duke William III and his wife, Grand Duchess Emma.

With the accession of the House of Nassau-Weilburg in 1890, the palace was reserved exclusively for the Grand Duke and his family. Under Grand Duke Adolphe, it was comprehensively renovated and a new wing, containing family rooms and guest accommodation, was built by the Belgian architect Gédéon Bordiau and the Luxembourgian state architect, Charles Arendt.

During the German occupation in the Second World War, the Grand Ducal Palace was used by the Nazis as a concert hall and tavern. Much of the palace's furniture, art collections and jewels were ruined. Large swastika flags were hung down the front. With the return of Grand Duchess Charlotte from exile in 1945, the palace once again became the seat of the Grand Ducal Court.

Palais grand-ducal

Under the supervision of Charlotte, the palace was redecorated during the 1960s. It was thoroughly restored between 1991 and 1996. The interior of the Palace has been regularly renovated to match modern tastes and standards of comfort.

From 1945 to 1966 the Grand Ducal Guard mounted ceremonial guard duties at the palace. From 1966 to today soldiers of the military of Luxembourg perform guard duties.

As the official residence of the Grand Duke, the palace is used by him in the exercise of his official functions. He and the Grand Duchess, together with their staff, have their offices at the palace, and the state rooms on the first floor are used for a variety of meetings and audiences. On Christmas Eve, the Grand Duke's Christmas message is broadcast from the Yellow Room.

Foreign heads of state are accommodated at the palace, as guests of the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess, during official visits to Luxembourg, and the Ballroom is the setting for state banquets in their honour. Throughout the year, numerous other receptions take place at the palace, such as the New Year's reception given for members of the Government and the Chamber of Deputies.

The Chamber of Deputies (Luxembourgish: D'Chamber, French: Chambre des Députés, German: Abgeordnetenkammer), abbreviated to the Chamber, is the unicameral national legislature of Luxembourg. Krautmaart (French: Marché aux herbes, English: "Herb Market") is sometimes used as a metonym for the Chamber, after the square on which the Hôtel de la Chambre (Luxembourgish: Chambergebai, English: "Hall of the Chamber of Deputies") is located.

The Chamber is made up of 60 seats. Deputies are elected to serve five-year terms by proportional representation in four multi-seat constituencies. Voters may vote for as many candidates as the constituency elects deputies.

Denomination in numeral is in top right corner. In words - in lower right corner.

Revers:

100 Francs 1986

Lëtzebuerg

Main image on banknote - View of the city of Luxembourg, also known as Lëtzebuerg. Also the gates and the castle wall are visible.

Among the dense vegetation, at the end of Wiltheim Street, is a fragment of the second city fortress wall of Luxembourg. Once upon a time this was the outer boundary of the old city, and the city gates were located inside it. Throughout the centuries of history, the city grew, pushing its boundaries, resulting in fragments of walls were almost in the center of modern Luxembourg. Up to now, only three towers have survived, which have become notable sights of this city.

Luxembourg (Luxembourgish: Lëtzebuerg, French: Luxembourg, German: Luxemburg), also known as Luxembourg City (Luxembourgish: Stad Lëtzebuerg or d'Stad, French: Ville de Luxembourg, German: Stadt Luxemburg), is the capital city of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (also named "Luxembourg"), and the country's most populous commune. Standing at the confluence of the Alzette and Pétrusse rivers in southern Luxembourg, the city lies at the heart of Western Europe, situated 213 km. (132 mi.) by road from Brussels, 372 km. (231 mi.) from Paris, and 209 km. (130 mi.) from Cologne. The city contains Luxembourg Castle, established by the Franks in the Early Middle Ages, around which a settlement developed.

The first letters in the city name fully correspond to its appearance-lux. In other cities, poverty, wealth, style, bad taste are marked. Luxembourg, as if, was specially created as a standard. So, they say, they look like absolute wealth and respectability. At first glance boring components? Judging by Luxembourg, sustainable wealth can look attractive. In addition, Luxembourg is an intelligent city - without Ponte and Nouveaux riches of its prosperity. The city has two "uniqueness", attracting tourists.

Firstly, it is the capital of one of the smallest countries in the world - only 2.6 thousand square meters. Kilometers. Secondly, the three-tiered city - such is not present anywhere in Europe. Siegfried's Rock The name "Luxembourg" although associated with the city-lux, has a completely different meaning. In 963, Count Siegfried bought a rock with the castle of Lutzemburg ("small castle") and made it the center of his possessions in the Moselle valley and the Ardennes mountains. Now the castle has little left, but it is still the most romantic place in the city. Standing at its ruined foot, you see at once three tiers. And although only 75 thousand people live in Luxembourg (and in the whole country - 441 thousand), the feeling of a tiny city is not created. On the contrary, the tiers make the city visually colossal. Once upon a time, three rows of fortress walls combined with cliffs 40-50 meters high and 24 forts turned Luxembourg into one of the most impregnable European fortresses. He was always at the intersection of trade routes, and was the object of lust for any authority. Luxembourg was under the rule of Brabant, Burgundy, the Habsburgs and Spain, Napoleon, the German Union. Since 1815, he is independent, although he lost a lot of land. Before, Luxembourg had a territory almost twice as large. Mini-state it was made by Belgium and Germany, in favor of which in different periods the Luxembourg lands were selected. Now powerful, in three lines, the fortress walls - only an ornament that highlights Luxembourg from all the cities of the world. The first, the upper tier - a modern city and part of the old city. The second, the middle one is the rock and the ruined castle of Siegfried. The third, inferior, fortress wall of Wenzel, the church, the river Alzetta with banks, on which, as if, neatly carved applications of flower beds.

Kathedral Notre-Dame vu Lëtzebuerg

On top, a little left from center, is Notre-Dame Cathedral visible.

Notre-Dame Cathedral (Luxembourgish: Kathedral Notre-Dame, French: Cathédrale Notre-Dame, German: Kathedrale unserer lieben Frau) is the Roman Catholic Cathedral of Luxembourg City, in southern Luxembourg. It was originally a Jesuit church, and its cornerstone was laid in 1613. It is the only cathedral in Luxembourg.

The church is a noteworthy example of late gothic architecture; however, it also has many Renaissance elements and adornments. At the end of the 18th century, the church received the miraculous image of the Maria Consolatrix Afflictorum, the patron saint of both the city and the nation.

Around 50 years later, the church was consecrated as the Church of Our Lady and in 1870, it was elevated by Pope Pius IX to the Cathedral of Notre-Dame.

At the cemetery of the cathedral is the National Monument to the Resistance and to the Deportation. The centerpiece of the monument is the famous bronze monument by the 20th century Luxembourgish sculptor Lucien Wercollier called The Political Prisoner.

The cathedral was expanded and enlarged from 1935 to 1938.

Jesuits from Belgium, which like Luxembourg belonged to the Spanish Netherlands at the time, opened a college in Luxembourg city in 1603, where the majority of young Luxembourgers were taught until 1773. The first stone of the church was laid on 7 May 1613, under Father François Aldenard. The constructor of the building was Ulrich Job, from Lucerne. Under him, the decoration of the columns also took place. The Jesuit church was consecrated and dedicated to the Immaculate Conception on 17 October 1621 by auxiliary bishop Georg von Helfenstein.

Artistically, it was above all the German sculptor Daniel Muller (d. 1623) from Freiberg (Saxony) who contributed to the appearance of the church, his work including the organ tribune. The decorations in alabaster, a favourite material of Dutch Renaissance sculptors, represent early Baroque angels, who play music between leaves and floral decorations.

After the Jesuits had left the city in 1773, Empress Maria Theresa of Austria gifted the church to the City of Luxembourg in 1778, and it became the new parish church under the name "Saint Nicolas et Sainte Thérèse". This was convenient, as at the time the old parish church, the church of St. Nicholas on the Krautmaart was small and decrepit, and was demolished in 1779. For this reason, a statue of St. Nicholas stands over the Cathedral entrance in Rue Notre-Dame.

It received the name "Notre-Dame" on 31 March 1848 under the apostolic vicar Jean-Théodore Laurent. His successor, Nicolas Adames, had the Baroque interior refurbished from 1854 in a neo-Gothic style. When Luxembourg was elevated to a bishopric by Pope Pius IX on 27 June 1870, the Notre-Dame Church became Notre-Dame Cathedral.

Though a noteworthy example of late gothic architecture, the Cathedral has many Renaissance elements and adornments.

Méchelskierch

On top, a little right from center, is Saint Michael's Church.

Saint Michael's Church (Luxembourgish: Méchelskierch, French: Église Saint-Michel, German: Sankt Michaelskirche) is a Roman Catholic church in Luxembourg City, in southern Luxembourg. It is located in Fishmarket, in the central Ville Haute quarter.

The church is the oldest extant religious site in Luxembourg City. The first church was built on the spot in 987 as the castle chapel for the Count of Luxembourg. However, over the following centuries, the building was destroyed, rebuilt, and renovated several times. Its current appearance dates to 1688, and unites Romanesque and Baroque architectural styles, pre-dating the national Moselle Baroque style. The building has been restored since then, preserving its original form; it has most recently been renovated in the 1960s, 1980s, and 2003-2004.

Johanneskirche

At the bottom, a little left from center, is Johanneskirche (St. Johann church).

The history of this building dates back to 1309. This is evidenced by documentary sources, in which a plot of land was approved for the construction of the church. The church acquired its modern appearance only in 1705. Among other things, this shrine is also remarkable for the fact that there is an organ, made in 1710.

Denominations in numerals are in top left and lower right corners. In words in lower left corner.

Comments:

Obverse designer: Groothertog Jean I.

Reverse designer: Stad Weyer.