header Notes Collection
Top

5 Pounds Sterling 1959, Kingdom of Great Britain

in Banknotes Book Number: SC611
Years of issue: 16.09.1959
Edition: --
Signatures: General manager: Mr. D. Alexander
Serie: Scotland
Specimen of: 1959
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 178 x 102
Printer: Waterlow and Sons, Limited, London

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

5 Pounds Sterling 1959

Description

Watermark:

5 Pounds 1959

Lord John Pitcairn.

The Commercial Bank of Scotland was founded in Edinburgh by John Pitcairn, Lord Cockburn and others.

Avers:

5 Pounds Sterling 1959

5 Pounds 1959

Coat of arms of National Commercial Bank of Scotland is at the bottom. Was taken from The National Bank of Scotland, but with additional motto in Latin, under the coat of arms..

In the center of the emblem apostle Saint Andrew dressed in purple monastic cloak. In front of him a silver cross martyr. He stands on the ground, to the right are the sheaf of hay in red color, to the left the ship in full sail (from the coat of Ship Bank).

Bottom shield fit, proportionally, two branches of thistle, crossing below. Over embroidered royal coronet, Eskroll - feathers, a symbol of royal power (often used in heraldry). Above them, the motto - "In patriam fidelis" (Faithful family home). The supporters are the lion and the griffin, standing on its legs, in red color.

Coat of arms included in the Register of León in 1826.

Especially for National Commercial Bank of Scotland was added a motto "Ditat servata fides" in Latin, under the coat of arms. In English it says "Faith preserved enriches".

Denominations in numerals are in three corners, in words centered.

Revers:

5 Pounds Sterling 1959

5 Pounds 1959 5 Pounds 1959 5 Pounds 1959

The Forth Railway bridge, from North side.

The Forth Bridge is a cantilever railway bridge over the Firth of Forth in the east of Scotland, to the east of the Forth Road Bridge, and 9 miles (14 kilometers) west of central Edinburgh. It was opened on 4 March 1890 and spans a total length of 8,296 feet (2,528.7 meters). It is sometimes referred to as the "Forth Rail Bridge" to distinguish it from the road bridge, though this has never been an official title.

5 Pounds 1959 5 Pounds 1959

The bridge connects Edinburgh, with Fife, leaving the Lothians at Dalmeny and arriving in Fife at North Queensferry, connecting the north-east and south-east of the country. The bridge was begun in 1883 and took 7 years to complete with the loss of 98 men. Until 1917, when the Quebec Bridge was completed, the Forth Bridge had the longest single cantilever bridge span in the world, and it still has the world's second-longest single span.

Denominations in numerals are in lower left and top right corners.

Comments:

Although, Scotland is not an independent state, and is part of the UK. Three Scottish banks have the right to issue their own banknotes. Officially, these notes are not called "Scottish pounds" and their denomination designated in pound sterling. In the strict sense of the term "Legal Tender" banknotes of Scottish banks are not even legal tender in Scotland, but can be taken throughout the United Kingdom.

The National Commercial Bank of Scotland Ltd. was a Scottish commercial bank. It was established in 1959 through a merger of the National Bank of Scotland (est. 1825) with the Commercial Bank of Scotland (est. 1810). Ten years later it merged with the Royal Bank of Scotland, to become the largest clearing bank in Scotland. The National Commercial Bank issued its own banknotes.

At its foundation, the National Commercial Bank of Scotland had assets of around £300 million, and had 476 branches in Scotland and England. A joint venture with asset management company "Schroders" in 1964 saw the launch of a Scottish merchant banking service. The bank acquired the 36 English and Welsh branches of The National Bank Ltd., when the Irish operations of that institution were bought by the Bank of Ireland in 1966. The National Commercial Bank also established a "ladies branch" for female customers, staffed entirely by women.

By 1969 economic conditions were becoming more difficult for the banking sector. In response, the National Commercial Bank merged with the Royal Bank of Scotland. The resulting company had 662 branches. The merger resulted in a new holding company, National & Commercial Banking Group Ltd. The English and Welsh branches were reorganized as "Williams & Glyn's Bank", while the Scottish branches transferred to the Royal Bank name. The holding company was renamed Royal Bank of Scotland Group in 1979.