header Notes Collection
Top

5 Leva 1974, Bulgaria

in Krause book Number: 95a
Years of issue: 15.07.1974
Edition:
Signatures: no signature
Serie: 1974 Issue
Specimen of: 1973
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 115 х 59
Printer: Goznak, Московская печатная фабрика - филиал ФГУП "Гознак", Москва

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

5 Leva 1974

Description

Watermark:

5 Leva 1974

Images of sickle and hammer.

Avers:

5 Leva 1974

Pattern.

1 Lev 1974

On left side is the coat of arms of the The People's Republic of Bulgaria from 1971 till 1990.

The Emblem of the People's Republic of Bulgaria was first used from 1946 until the end of communist rule in 1990. Following the communist coup d’etat was held against the government of King Simeon on 9 September 1944, the insurgents used royal flags defaced by cutting out the crown and the royal cyphers. Around the arms was a garland of branches of oak and olive. On 15 September 1946, the Peoples’ Republic was proclaimed. On 6 December 1947 an emblem patterned after the State Emblem of the Soviet Union was adopted that consisted of a red five-pointed star with eight ears of wheat or tied with a ribbon Gules inscribed with the motto: 9 IX 1944.

In 1947 the color of shield again became blue and the ribbon was changed to the colors of the flag of Bulgaria.

In 1948 the coat of arms was added, at the foot, by gold gear.

The lion symbolized the desire of the people of Bulgaria for peace, the wreath of golden ears - agriculture, the golden gear - the developing industry; In addition, the pinion and wreath of ears, intertwined with red and tricolor ribbons, symbolized the union of the workers and peasant of the country, who grew up in the liberation struggle and their unity in socialist construction; The red five-pointed star symbolized the close connection and solidarity of the Bulgarian people with the working people of the whole world.

The authors of the design of the coat of arms are the artist Stoyan Satirov and the sculptor Nikolai Shmirgela. (www.istpravda.ru .rus)

Denominations in numerals are repeated three times, in words at the bottom.

Revers:

5 Leva 1974

5 Leva 1974 5 Leva 1974

The view at the beach of resort "Golden Sands" (Златни пясъци, Zlatni pyasatsi) or resort "Druzhba".

Golden Sands (Bulgarian: Златни пясъци, Zlatni pyasatsi) is a major seaside resort town on the northern Bulgarian Black Sea Coast, adjacent to a national park of the same name in the municipality of Varna.

Located 17 km. north of downtown Varna, it is virtually connected to the city by a continuous swath of resorts and villa communities. It is a popular tourist destination, drawing many visitors from Romania, Ukraine, Poland, Germany, the United Kingdom, Russia, Scandinavia, France, Central and Eastern Europe, the Persian Gulf, Israel, and other countries.

Resort development started in 1957 and in about two decades, the place was transformed into a modern holiday complex with numerous hotels (many open year-round), villas, apartment buildings, spa centers, restaurants, clubs, casinos, attractions, shopping centers, and sports facilities, including a yacht marina, a horse riding school, and the Aquapolis water park. Golden Sands was privatized in the 1990s and attracted considerable investment through the 2000s. Designed initially for 13,000 hotel beds, it had over 30,000 beds reported in 2007; according to Varna Tourist Chamber sources, the actual number was significantly higher, by some unverified critical estimates even approaching 90,000. Currently, most hotels offer all inclusive vacations but there are also concerted efforts to reposition the resort as a high-end destination.

The area is labelled to have the purest quartz sand on the coast and abounds in old trees, landscaped gardens, and pedestrian malls. Golden Sands authorities resist demands to provide more automobile roads and parking lots, citing the resort's reputation as family friendly, green, and largely pedestrian place.

Hot mineral water springs and lush woodlands cascading from the Franga Plateau, forming the Golden Sands Nature Park, turn the town into one of the most popular tourist spots in Eastern Europe. It also comprises the Holiday Club Riviera luxury resort, several villa communities including Panorama, Chaika, Kabakum, and Alen Mak, and the historic grotto of Aladzha Monastery in the vicinity. A contemporary chapel of John the Baptist was recently added. Just north is perhaps the best known gay beach in the nation. Three 18-hole golf courses designed by Gary Player and Ian Woosnam are currently (2007) being developed around Balchik and Kavarna a short drive to the north.

Golden Sands urban development took place within a protected area declared in 1943 (its original name was Hachuka State Forest); some nature landmarks were lost in the process, such as beach freshwater ponds abounding in tortoises and snakes and beach nesting bird habitats. But the bulk of the nature park was preserved and its area expanded almost twice to over 1,300 hectares. In the 2000s, although Golden Sands managed to a large extent to avoid being overdeveloped as other large resorts were, parts of the protected forest adjacent to the urban area were cleared for the construction of the Aquapolis water park.

5 Leva 1974

The Text from Bulgarian tourist information booklet of Soviet times:

"In 7 km. north of the resort "Druzhba" and 17 km. north of Varna is a resort "GOLDEN SANDS".

In just a few years there was this huge resort ensemble with the most modern hotels, restaurants, confectioneries. The entire complex is spread by an amphitheater along the beach with fine golden sand stretching for three and a half kilometers. The resort is located on a small hill, covered with age-old deciduous forest, gently sloping down to the sea.

"Golden Sands" is included in the tourist guides and guides of the world, and their glory is to grow.

The resort can simultaneously rest 20,000 people.

For Soviet tourists at the resort "Golden Sands" there is a special movie amphitheater, which hosts concerts of amateur performances, lectures and talks on various topics, also movies are shown here.

Usually, tourists who have a rest at the resort "Golden Sands" make a walking tour to the original Aladzha Monastery, carved into the rocks in the IV century a. c."

Denominations in numerals are repeated 3 times, in words - at the bottom.

Comments:

Was in circulation until 31.12.1996.