header Notes Collection
Top

1 Lev 1962, Bulgaria

in Krause book Number: 88a
Years of issue: 01.01.1962
Edition:
Signatures: no signature
Serie: 1962 Issue
Specimen of: 1961
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 105 х 54
Printer: Goznak, Московская печатная фабрика - филиал ФГУП "Гознак", Москва

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

1 Lev 1962

Description

Watermark:

1 Lev 1962

Images of sickle and hammer.

Avers:

1 Lev 1962

Pattern.

1 Lev 1962

On left side is the coat of arms of the The People's Republic of Bulgaria from 1948 till 1967.

The Emblem of the People's Republic of Bulgaria was first used from 1946 until the end of communist rule in 1990. Following the communist coup d’etat was held against the government of King Simeon on 9 September 1944, the insurgents used royal flags defaced by cutting out the crown and the royal cyphers. Around the arms was a garland of branches of oak and olive. On 15 September 1946, the Peoples’ Republic was proclaimed. On 6 December 1947 an emblem patterned after the State Emblem of the Soviet Union was adopted that consisted of a red five-pointed star with eight ears of wheat or tied with a ribbon Gules inscribed with the motto: 9 IX 1944.

In 1947 the color of shield again became blue and the ribbon was changed to the colors of the flag of Bulgaria.

In 1948 the coat of arms was added, at the foot, by gold gear.

The lion symbolized the desire of the people of Bulgaria for peace, the wreath of golden ears - agriculture, the golden gear - the developing industry; In addition, the pinion and wreath of ears, intertwined with red and tricolor ribbons, symbolized the union of the workers and peasant of the country, who grew up in the liberation struggle and their unity in socialist construction; The red five-pointed star symbolized the close connection and solidarity of the Bulgarian people with the working people of the whole world.

The authors of the design of the coat of arms are the artist Stoyan Satirov and the sculptor Nikolai Shmirgela. (www.istpravda.ru .rus)

Denominations in numerals are in three corners, in words centered.

Revers:

1 Lev 1962

1 Lev 1962

The Shipka Monument (Bulgarian: паметник „Шипка“) is on Stoletov Peak near the pass, reached by a flight of steps or a short road. It is a Monument to those who died for the Liberation of Bulgaria during the Battles of Shipka Pass in the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78. It was opened with a ceremony in 1934 and designed by architect Atanas Donkov and sculptor Aleksandar Andreev. An important influence was the Monument to the Battle of the Nations, in Germany.

The monument is a 31.5-meters (98-foot) high stone tower, in the form of a truncated pyramid. A giant bronze lion, 8 meters (26 feet) long and 4 meters (13 feet) high, stands above the entrance to the tower, and a figure of a woman represents the victory over the Ottoman forces. A marble sarcophagus housing some of the remains of the Russian and Bulgarian casualties is on the first floor. There are four other floors where one can find replica of Bulgarian military flags and other relics. The top of the tower reveals a panorama of Shipka Peak and the surrounding area.

Every August, near the monument, a historical reconstruction of the events of 1877 is carried out. An important part of the event is a requiem for Russian, Belorussian, Ukrainian, Romanian and Finnish soldiers who died here, as well as Bulgarian militiamen. They are given military honors, state leaders and ordinary citizens of Bulgaria laying wreaths of fresh flowers at the top of the hill as a token of their gratitude.

Denominations in numerals are repeated 4 times, in words - right of center.

Comments:

Was in circulation until 31.10.1996.