header Notes Collection
Top

200 Escudos 2005, Cape Verde

in Krause book Number: 68a
Years of issue: 20.01.2005
Edition: --
Signatures: Governador: Carlos Augusto de Burgo, Administrador: João de Andrade Lopes
Serie: 2005 Issue
Specimen of: 2005
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 122 х 61
Printer: TDLR (Thomas de la Rue & Company), London

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

200 Escudos 2005

Description

Watermark:

200 escudosAmílcar Lopes da Costa Cabral (12 September 1924 - 20 January 1973) was a Guinea-Bissauan and Cape Verdean agricultural engineer, writer, and a nationalist thinker and political leader. He was also one of Africa's foremost anti-colonial leaders. Also known by his nom de guerre Abel Djassi, Cabral led the nationalist movement of Guinea-Bissau and Cape Verde Islands and the ensuing war of independence in Guinea-Bissau. He was assassinated on 20 January 1973, about eight months before Guinea-Bissau's unilateral declaration of independence.

Cornerstones.

Avers:

200 Escudos 2005

200 escudosSailing ship Ernestina.

Built in four months at a cost of $16,000 and launched on February 1, 1894 at the James & Tarr shipyard in Essex MA, EFFIE M. MORRISSEY (now ERNESTINA) was owned by Captain William E. Morrissey and the John F. Wonson, Co. of Gloucester, MA. The vessel was named after Captain Morrissey’s daughter. The ship’s illustrious career began that same year, when the 156-foot-long schooner carried Gloucester fishermen to the Grand Banks, Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland in search of cod, haddock, hake, halibut, pollock, and other species and to carry freight. (William’s son Capt. Clayton E Morrissey, who also commanded the MORRISSEY after his father, served as the model for the famous Gloucester fisherman’s statue.)

In 1926, EFFIE M. MORRISSEY was purchased by Capt. Robert A. "Bob" Bartlett, a Canadian-born Arctic explorer and companion of Robert E. Peary. Bartlett, who navigated Peary and Matthew Henson to the North Pole in 1909, was considered the greatest ice captain of the XX Century. Under Bartlett, "the little MORRISSEY", along with students and scientists, made 20 regular voyages to document the frozen north’s flora and fauna, and its people for patrons including the National Geographic Society, the Smithsonian Institution, the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, the Museum of the American Indian, and others. He was the first Arctic explorer to place science ahead of exploration. In 1940, MORRISSEY reached to within 578 miles of the North Pole-the farthest north that any sailing vessel has ever reached. Pathé Newsreels shown in theaters across the country and David Putnam’s adventures for boys, David Goes to Greenland and David Goes to Baffin Land, further helped spread the name and fame of the venerable master and his schooner. Cap’n Bob and MORRISSEY, were as famous to the generations of the 1920s and 30s as Jacques Cousteau and Calypso were to the generations of the 1960s and 70s. During World War II, the ship’s black hull was painted grey and entered into U.S. Naval service conducting hydrographic work of Greenland’s waters and serving as a supply ship to U.S. bases there and in the Arctic. She even made a voyage to the Soviet Union port of Murmansk. Following Cap’n Bob’s 1946 death, the schooner was sold to two brothers in New York City who painted her white and intended to sail her to the South Seas. However, in November 1947, a fire below decks damaged MORRISSEY which sank under the steady stream of water from the New York City Fire Department.

Captain Henrique Mendes purchased MORRISSEY and renamed her ERNESTINA, after his daughter, and sailed the vessel as a packet, carrying immigrants and goods to and from Cape Verde Islands and the United States from 1948 until 1965. Among her captains were Ricardo Lima Barros, Joao Baptista Jr., Arnaldo Mendes, and Valentin Lucas. Many stories from this era have been documented by ship anthropologist/crew member Traudi Coli. ERNESTINA was the last sailing ship, in regular service, to carry immigrants across the Atlantic to the United States, and the last of a series of Cape Verde packets to carry on this trade in the middle years of the XX Century.

Until 1972, ERNESTINA was important for inter-Island transportation and communication. Between the islands the ship would be loaded with foodstuffs and supplies, and merchants usually travelled with their goods. There were also always several passengers aboard. For example, in one voyage, there were recorded eight "Americanos" going to the island of Fogo and several passengers bound for Praia, the capitol of the islands. In 1968 the Bishop of Cape Verde sent used clothes to the mission in Fogo, and in 1972 a relief supply of maize was transported to several islands. In 1972, ERNESTINA’s bottom was repaired; frames, keel sections and hull timbers were renewed and the hull was sheathed with aluminum sheeting below the waterline. She was used less and less by 1974.

Since the late 1960s, there had been growing interest in the United States in saving the historic vessel, among a diverse group of persons and organizations representing her diverse history. The combination of her rich North American history and her transatlantic heritage was and is unique. Approaches were made to acquire her for the South Street Seaport Museum and later for the Bartlett Exploration Association of Philadelphia. Henrique Mendes had always hoped that she would return with honor to the land of her birth. A Cape Verdean-American group headed by Charles Fortes and Don Ramos of Providence wrote to President Aristide Pereira of the newly independent Cape Verde about sending ERNESTINA to the United States to participate in the 1976 Bicentennial Parade of Sail. The President agreed. ERNESTINA was hauled, 40 shipwrights, welders, mechanics and riggers worked on her for 2 weeks, 7am-7pm, and one man was sent to Lisbon for new sails, and veteran seamen and students from the Mindelo Navigation School were selected for her crew. On June 11, 1976, she set sail from the port of Mindelo, captained by Marcos Lopes. Engine trouble developed about 13 miles off the coast. When the sea became stormy, they radioed the Wilma to tow her to harbor. Just as the crew was attaching the towline, the foremast cracked, falling to the sea. It was therefore necessary to cut off all the rigging, letting the new sails sink into the ocean. No one was lost or injured. That incident led to a six-year campaign to restore ERNESTINA, both here and in Cape Verde. Cape Verde spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in the restoration. The National Friends of ERNESTINA/MORRISSEY, co-led by Laura Pires-Hester and Michael Platzer and formed at the National Maritime Historical Society was joined by local Friends groups and hundreds of volunteers in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, and Philadelphia in raising funds to support the restoration and expanding the base of support and interest.

In 1978, Cape Verde made a decision to gift the Schooner to the people of the United States. This amazing gift recognized the long-standing ties between the two countries and also acknowledged the line of similar schooners going back to the late 19th century, owned by Cape Verdeans and transporting people and cargo back and forth. Also in 1978, the original legislation creating the Schooner Ernestina Commission was passed, sponsored by legislator Thomas Lopes. In 1982, the Republic of Cape Verde restored ERNESTINA and presented her to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a gift to the people of the United States, returning her to the land of her construction. At the presentation ceremonies, a representative from Cape Verde called ERNESTINA “an unmistakable catalyst in fostering a very special bond of friendship and human assistance from one country to another.” (A 25th anniversary celebration of this generous gift took place on August 25, 2007 at the State Pier in New Bedford).

ERNESTINA spent the next four years undergoing additional rehabilitation that earned the vessel and her Captain, Dan Moreland, an award in 1987 from the National Trust for Historic Preservation for “outstanding commitment to excellence in historic preservation.” In 1990, the Secretary of the Interior designated ERNESTINA a National Historic Landmark and listed her as in “excellent” condition. In 1997, the U.S. Congress established New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park and included ERNESTINA as part of the park.

When ERNESTINA received U.S. Coast Guard certification in 1987, she plied the waters as a sail training ship, living history museum, and goodwill ambassador. Between 1988 and 1989, ERNESTINA visited ports up and down the eastern seaboard and northeast into Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, returning to her former homeports while educating a new generation of seafarers. From 1990 through 2004, ERNESTINA sailed regularly from spring to autumn conducting an extensive range of educational opportunities, spanning from dock side programs during port visits to day sails, and extended sails of up to two weeks in length. (Ernestina)

Top left is a corn.

Denominations in numerals are in top center and lower right corner. Centered in words.

Revers:

200 Escudos 2005

Modern collage of an airport in a vertical format.

200 escudosOn the top is the plain "De Havilland Canada DHC-6-300 Twin Otter" of TACV Cabo Verde Airlines. The photo is made in August 1992 by Patrick Mutzenberg in Francisco Mendes International Airport, Santiago island, Cabo-Verde.

Version 300 have "462-kW Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-27" Turboprop-Motors.

These aircraft were widely used by primary carrier of the country "TACV Cabo Verde Airlines". (www.airliners.net)

The de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter is a Canadian 19-passenger STOL (Short Takeoff and Landing) utility aircraft developed by de Havilland Canada and currently produced by Viking Air. The aircraft's fixed tricycle undercarriage, STOL abilities and high rate of climb have made it a successful cargo, regional passenger airliner and MEDEVAC aircraft. In addition, the Twin Otter has been popular with commercial skydiving operations.

200 escudosAmílcar Cabral International Airport, also known as Sal International Airport or Amílcar Cabral Airport, is the principal international airport of Cape Verde. The airport is named after the revolutionary leader Amílcar Cabral.

It is located two kms west-southwest from Espargos on Sal Island. Until September 2005, it was the only airport in Cape Verde to serve international flights. Cape Verde's other three international airports are near Praia on Santiago Island, on São Vicente near the capital of Mindelo, and on Boavista.

Top left is a corn.

200 escudosBottom right is the emblem of Cabo-Verde.

The national emblem of Cape Verde contains a circle within which is written the name of the nation in Portuguese; also in this circle are a torch and triangle, symbols of freedom and national unity. The circle is ringed with ten stars, that represent the islands of Cape Verde, and is similar to the symbolism on the flag of Cape Verde. At the top of the shield is a plumbob, a symbol of righteousness, three chain links are at the bottom.

Denomination in bottom left in words. Bottom, in the middle, and top left in numerals.

Comments: