header Notes Collection
Top

1 Pound Sterling 1967, Kingdom of Great Britain

in Banknotes Book Number: SC805
Years of issue: 01.09.1967
Edition: --
Signatures: General Manager: Mr. G. P. Robertson
Serie: Scotland
Specimen of: 01.09.1967
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 135 x 67
Printer: Bradbury, Wilkinson & Company Limited, New Malden

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

1 Pound Sterling 1967

Description

Watermark:

1 Pound 1967The effigy of David Dale, same as on obverse of banknote!

Avers:

1 Pound Sterling 1967

David DaleThe engraving for watermark is made after this effigy of David Dale.

Title: David Dale, 1739-1806. Manufacturer and philanthropist.

Accession number: PG 2219

Artist: James Tassie Scottish (1735-1799)

Depicted: David Dale

Gallery: Scottish National Portrait Gallery (On Display).

Object type: Sculpture

Subject: Industry

Materials: Paste

Date created: Dated 1791.

Measurements: Height: 7.00 cm.

Credit line: Given by the Royal Bank of Scotland 1973.

David Dale (6 January 1739 - 17 March 1806) was a Scottish merchant and businessman, known for establishing the influential weaving community of New Lanark, in South Lanarkshire, Scotland and is credited along with his son in law Robert Owen of being a founder of utopian socialism and a founding father of socialism. Besides the spinning of cotton-yarn at New Lanark, Mr. Dale was largely concerned in the manufacture of cotton cloth in Glasgow. [Under the firm of Dale, Campbell, Reid, and Dale, viz., Mr. Dale himself, Mr. Campbell, his brother-in-law, Mr. Andrew Reid, and Mr. David Dale, jun., his nephew.] In connection with Mr. George M’Intosh, and Monsieur Papillon, a Frenchman; he established, in 1783, the first works in Scotland for the dyeing of cotton turkey-red. He was a partner in an inkle-factory; also in the Blantyre cotton-mills, and at a later period of his life held a large share in the Stanley cotton-mills.

Logo of the bank The Royal Bank of Scotland is on bottom.

Surprisingly for an institution founded in 1727, the Royal Bank of Scotland did not acquire its own coat of arms until 1960. Thats why, logo on banknote consist of different parts of heraldic symbols (mostly taken from british coat of arms) and a portrait of its first governor - Sir Archibald Campbell, 3rd Duke of Argyll, 1st Earl of Ilay.

The Scottish Parliament had declared in 1689 that King James VII had, by his absence, forfeited the throne, and handed the Crown to his Dutch rival William of Orange, who had already seized the throne in England. The House of Hanover succeeded to the throne of the new United Kingdom which had been created in 1707, but the Bank of Scotland was suspected of harbouring Jacobite sympathies. The London government was keen to help out Scottish merchants loyal to the Hanoverians and so, in 1727, King George granted a royal charter to the new Royal Bank of Scotland.

Now one of the most well-known financial brands in the world, the Royal Bank of Scotland was founded in Edinburgh in 1727, thirty-two years after its rival, the Bank of Scotland. (The Bank of Scotland, as it happens, was founded by an Englishman, John Holland - just as the Bank of England was founded by a Scot, Sir William Paterson).

Denominations in numerals are in all corners, in words centered.

Revers:

1 Pound Sterling 1967

On banknote are 2 buildings:

Dundas HouseCentered is Dundas House, designed by Sir William Chambers, built in 1774 for Sir Lawrence Dundas, and acquired by the bank, as headquarters, in 1821.

Dundas House Dundas HouseIn front of Dundas House is a statue.

Dundas HouseDescription of that statue please read from the image!

General John Hope, 4th Earl of Hopetoun PC KB FRSE (17 August 1765 – 27 August 1823), known as the Honourable John Hope from 1781 to 1814 and as the Lord Niddry from 1814 to 1816, was a Scottish politician and British Army officer.

Hopetoun was the only son of John Hope, 2nd Earl of Hopetoun, by his second wife Jane or Jean Oliphant. His mother died when he was only one year old. He was commissioned into the 10th Light Dragoons in 1784. He sat as Member of Parliament for Linlithgowshire from 1790 to 1800.

He took part in the capture of the French West Indies and Spanish West Indies in 1796 and 1797. In 1799 he was sent to Den Helder as Deputy Adjutant-General and was present at the Battle of Bergen and the Battle of Castricum. In 1801 he was sent to Cairo and then to Alexandria to take the surrender of the French garrisons there. He became Lieutenant-Governor of Portsmouth and General Officer Commanding South-West District in June 1805.

He commanded a Division during the advance into Spain and commanded the British left at the Battle of Corunna in 1809, succeeding to overall command when Sir John Moore was killed. Later that year he commanded the reserve army during the Walcheren Campaign. He was appointed Commander-in-Chief, Ireland and was admitted to the Irish Privy Council in 1812. He then commanded the First Division under The Duke of Wellington at the Battle of Nivelle and at the Battle of the Nive in 1813. He was captured fighting the French sortie at the Battle of Bayonne in 1814.

He served as Lord-Lieutenant of Linlithgowshire from 1816 to 1823. On 17 May 1814, two years before he succeeded in the earldom, he was raised to the peerage in his own right as Baron Niddry, of Niddry Castle in the County of Linlithgow, with remainder to the male issue of his father. In 1816 he succeeded his elder half-brother as fourth Earl of Hopetoun.

He died in Paris, France on 27 August 1823.

In 1798 Lord Hopetoun married firstly Elizabeth Hope Vere (or Weir) of Craigiehall, daughter of Charles Hope-Weir. After her death he married secondly Louisa Dorothea Wedderburn, daughter of John Wedderburn of Ballendean, and granddaughter of Sir John Wedderburn, 5th Baronet of Blackness.

On his death he was succeeded in his titles by his eldest son from his second marriage, John. Lady Hopetoun died in 1836.

Dundas HouseIn top right corner is the Chief Office of the Royal Bank of Scotland in Glasgow.

The Royal Bank of Scotland in Royal Exchange Square was designed by Archibald Elliot and built in 1827, when the bank moved from its premises in the Cuninghame Mansion (now the Gallery of Modern Art). The corner of the latter building can be seen on the right of this engraving.

The exterior is in Greek style, and was linked to the buildings on either side by triumphal arches which allow pedestrian access to Buchanan Street. During the 1990s the building was converted to become Glasgow's largest bookshop.

Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning.

Dundas HouseThe entrance to Royal Bank Place.

This magnificent archway is the northern-most of a pair which flank the former Royal Bank of Scotland building on Royal Exchange Square. Built in the 1830s, the archways stand at the end of pedestrian passages (Royal Bank Place and Exchange Place) which connect the square to Buchanan Street. In 2004, the old bank building houses a book shop.

In 1955 "Partick Camera Club" set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.

Reproduced with the permission of "Partick Camera Club". (www.theglasgowstory.com)

Denominations in numerals are in top and lower left corners, in words in lower right corner.

Comments: