Top
header Notes Collection

5 Lei 1966, Romania

in Krause book Number: 93a
Years of issue: 01.11.1966
Edition:
Signatures: no signature
Serie: 1966 Issue
Specimen of: 1966
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 124 х 62
Printer: Imprimeria Bancii Nationale a Romaniei, Bucuresti

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

5 Lei 1966

Description

Watermark:

watermarkRhombuses.

Avers:

5 Lei 1966

The coat of arms of the Socialist Republic of Romania is centered.

coat

Represents afforested mountains, over which the sun is arising. On the left side is an oil derrick. The coat of arms is surrounded by a wreath of wheat ears. On top of the coat of arms id a five-pointed star. On the bottom of the coat of arms, the wheat ears are wraped with a tricolor ribbon on which is written: "REPUBLICA SOCIALISTĂ ROMÂNIA".

Denominations in numerals are in all corners.

Revers:

5 Lei 1966

Portul PortulOn banknote is the Sea port Constanța.

The Port of Constanța includes the North Port and the South Port, and is the fourth largest in Europe. It is protected by breakwaters, with a lighthouse at the entrance. The port is sheltered from the northerly winds, but southerly winds can prove highly dangerous at times. The Black Sea squadron of the Romanian fleet is stationed here. A large canal (the Danube-Black Sea Canal) connects the Danube River to the Black Sea at Constanța.

It has an area of 39.26 km2 (15.16 sq. mi.) and a length of about 30 km. (19 mi.). It is the largest port on the Black Sea.

Portul Portul PortulOn third photo (1964) we can see 2 ships, depicted on banknote. The first one is (on foreground) - near 4 Port cranes staying nearby, a little left from center. The second one is in top left corner, with black painted Hull. Till now I did not found the names of these ships. (sanuuitam.blogspot.de .rom)

Virtually all types of cargo can be processed in this port. There are specialized terminals for ore and coal, oil and petroleum products, chemical products and fertilizers, cement and building materials, cereals, frozen foods, butter and molasses. In addition to the above, the port of Constanta also has modern ferry and container terminals.

Export: oil products, grain, timber, cement

Import: Machinery, equipment, apatite.

In the port of Constanta, in 1970, the film "Songs of the Sea" (Cîntecele mării) was shot - it is a Soviet-Romanian musical film-review. In the early 1970s it became very popular in the USSR thanks to the songs of Themistocle Popa (Russian text by Robert Rozhdestvensky) and the fascination of the Romanian actor and singer Dan Spataru, who played in a duet with Natalya Fateeva (Larisa Mondrus sang behind her). In 1971, a record was released with 4 songs from the film (Melody, D 00030081-2).

And the same movie, only in Russian language - in the Russian version there are 2 songs in a row:

Portul Portul PortulConstanța (historically known as Tomis (Greek: Κωνστάντζα or Κωνστάντια, Konstantia, Bulgarian: Кюстенджа or Констанца, Turkish: Köstence), is the oldest continuously inhabited city in Romania. It was founded around 600 BC. The city is located in the Dobruja region of Romania, on the Black Sea coast. It is the capital of Constanța County and the largest city in the region.

The Constanța metropolitan area includes 14 localities within 30 km. (19 mi.).

According to Jordanes (after Cassiodorus), the foundation of the city was ascribed to Tomyris the queen of the Massagetae (The origin and deeds of the Goths):

"After achieving this victory (against Cyrus the Great) and winning so much booty from her enemies, Queen Tomyris crossed over into that part of Moesia which is now called Lesser Scythia - a name borrowed from Great Scythia -, and built on the Moesian shore of the Black Sea the city of Tomi, named after herself."

In 29 BC the Romans captured the region from the Odryses, and annexed it as far as the Danube, under the name of Limes Scythicus ("Scythian Frontier").

In AD 8, the Roman poet Ovid (43 BC-17) was banished here by Augustus and it was where he spent the remaining eight years of his life. He laments his exile in Tomis in his poems: Tristia and Epistulae ex Ponto. Tomis was "by his account a town located in a war-stricken cultural wasteland on the remotest margins of the empire".

A statue of Ovid stands in the Ovid Square (Piața Ovidiu) of Constanța, in front of the History Museum (the former City Hall).

A number of inscriptions found in the city and its vicinity show that Constanța lies where Tomis once stood. Some of these are now preserved in the British Museum in London.[5] The city was afterwards included in the Province of Moesia, and, from the time of Diocletian, in Scythia Minor, of which it was the metropolis. After the 5th century, Tomis fell under the rule of the Eastern Roman Empire. During Maurice's Balkan campaigns, Tomis was besieged by the Avars in the winter of 597/598.

Tomis was later renamed to Constantiana in honour of Constantia, the half-sister of Roman Emperor Constantine the Great (274-337). The earliest known usage of this name was "Κωνστάντια" ("Constantia") in 950. The city lay at the seaward end of the Great Wall of Trajan, and has evidently been surrounded by fortifications of its own. After successively becoming part of the Bulgarian Empire for over 500 years, and later of the independent principality of Dobrotitsa/Dobrotici and of Wallachia under Mircea I of Wallachia, Constanța fell under the Ottoman rule around 1419.

A railroad linking Constanța to Cernavodă was opened in 1860. In spite of damage done by railway contractors there are considerable remains of ancient masonry walls, pillars, etc. An impressive public building, thought to have originally been a port building, has been excavated, and contains the substantial remains of one of the longest mosaic pavements in the world.

In 1878, after the Romanian War of Independence, Constanța and the rest of Northern Dobruja were ceded by the Ottoman Empire to Romania. The city became Romania's main seaport and transit point for much of Romania's exports.

On October 22, 1916 (during World War I), the Central Powers (German, Turkish and Bulgarian troops) occupied Constanța. According to the Treaty of Bucharest in May 1918, article 10.b (a treaty never ratified by Romania), Constanța remained under the joint control of the Central Powers. Allied troops liberated the city in 1918 after the successful offensive on the Thessaloniki front knocked Bulgaria out of the war.

In the interwar years, the city became Romania's main commercial hub, so that by the 1930s over half of the national exports were going through the port. During World War II, when Romania joined the Axis powers, Constanța was one of the country's main targets for the Allied bombers. While the town was left relatively undamaged, the port suffered extensive damage, recovering only in the early 1950s.

Constanța is the warmest city in Romania. It has a humid subtropical climate (Cfa), with oceanic and semi-arid influences. There are four distinct seasons during the year.

Denomination in numeral is on left side. In words at bottom.

Comments: