Top
header Notes Collection

5 Lari 2011, Georgia

in Krause book Number: 70c
Years of issue: 2011
Edition: --
Signatures: President of National Bank of Georgia: Giorgi Kadagidze (in office from 26.02.2009 till 16.03.2016), Minister of Finance: Dimitri Gvindadze (in office from 20.06.2011 till 13.08.2012)
Serie: 1995 Issue
Specimen of: 1995
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 115 х 61
Printer: Giesecke und Devrient GmbH, Muenchen

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

5 Lari 2011

Description

Watermark:

5 Lari 2011The Emblems of the Bank of Georgia. Letters "GEL".

Avers:

5 Lari 2011

5 Lari 2011 5 Lari 2011The engraving on banknote is made after this photo of Ivane Javakhishvili, made at his working place.

Prince Ivane Javakhishvili (Georgian: ივანე ჯავახიშვილი, 11 April 1876 – 18 November 1940) was a Georgian historian and a linguist whose voluminous works heavily influenced the modern scholarship of the history and culture of Georgia. He was also one of the founding fathers of the Tbilisi State University (1918) and its rector from 1919 to 1926.

Prince Ivane Javakhishvili was born in Tbilisi, Georgia (then part of Imperial Russia) to the aristocratic family of Prince Alexander Javakhishvili, who served as an educator at the Tbilisi Gymnasium. Having graduated from the Faculty of Oriental Studies of the St. Petersburg University in 1899, he became a privat-docent of the Chair of Armenian and Georgian Philology at his alma mater. From 1901 to 1902, he was a visiting scholar at the University of Berlin. In 1902, he accompanied his mentor, Academician Nicholas Marr, to Mount Sinai where they studied medieval Georgian manuscripts. After the first volumes of Javakhishvili's monumental, but yet unfinished, kartveli eris istoria (A History of the Georgian Nation) appeared between 1908 and 1914, the young scholar quickly established himself as a preeminent authority on Georgian and Caucasian history, Georgian law, paleography, diplomacy, music, drama and other subjects, producing landmark studies in these fields.

Early in 1918, he was instrumental in founding Georgia's first regular university in Tbilisi, thus realizing a long-time dream cherished by generations of Georgian intellectuals but consistently frustrated by the Imperial Russian authorities. The Tbilisi University (present-day I. Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University, TSU, which now bears his name), of which Javakhishvili became a professor and the head of the Department of the History of Georgia, rapidly assumed a dominant position in Georgia's educational life. In 1919, Javakhishvili succeeded the noted chemist Petre Melikishvili as the second rector of the university: he served until June 1926, when, in the aftermath of anti-Soviet August Uprising of 1924, tolerance of non-Marxist intellectuals began to contract. Although he was permitted to publish and teach, this eclipse probably saved his life, since his successor at the university, was among the victims of the Stalinist Great Purge of 1936–7.[4] He was forced to step down at TSU in 1938, but was soon appointed director of the Department of History at the State Museum of Georgia which he headed until his death in Tbilisi in 1940. He was interred at the yard of the TSU.

Javakhishvili authored more than 170 works dealing with various aspects of Georgia's political, cultural, social and economic history. Since the publication of its first edition in 1908, his main work, A History of the Georgian Nation (fully published between 1908 and 1949), has remained one of the most comprehensive and eloquent treatments of pre-modern Georgian history. Regrettably, it has not been translated into any other language. Several of Javakhishvili's most influential articles and books including A History of the Georgian Nation have been reprinted in his twelve-volume collected works from 1977 and 1998.

Top left is an emblem of National Bank of Georgia. The main motive of emblem is Borjgali.

ბორჯღალი

Borjgali (Georgian: ბორჯღალი; also Borjgala or Borjgalo) is a Georgian symbol of the Sun with seven rotating wings over the Christian Tree of Life and is related to the Mesopotamian symbols of eternity. It is usually depicted within the circle that symbolizes the Universe. The roots of the Tree go into the "past" and its palm-like branches are for the "future". The Tree itself symbolizes the continuity between past, present and the future. The Borjgali is usually placed above the tree and symbolizes the Sun, eternal movement and life.

The term Borjgali is believed to derive from Megrelian word ბარჩხალი ("barchkhali"), which literally means "strong shining". Some other scholars believe that it has different origins. In old Megrelian borj means "time" and gal means "pass" or "flow". So the whole phrase would mean "the flow of time".

5 Lari 2011 5 Lari 2011 5 Lari 2011On right side, behind the portrait, are two bas-reliefs from the wall of Svetitskhoveli Cathedral (XI century). First one: The tree of life; Second: St. George the Victorious. Ivane Javakhishvili headed Mtskheta archaeological expedition, apparently so the bill shows the reliefs from the cathedral in Mtskheta.

The Svetitskhoveli Cathedral (Georgian: სვეტიცხოვლის საკათედრო ტაძარი, svet'icxovlis sak'atedro t'adzari; literally the Cathedral of the Living Pillar) is an Eastern Orthodox cathedral located in the historic town of Mtskheta, Georgia, to the northwest of the Georgian capital Tbilisi. A masterpiece of the Early Middle Ages, Svetitskhoveli is recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. It is currently the second largest church building in Georgia, after the Holy Trinity Cathedral.

Known as the burial site of Christ's mantle, Svetitskhoveli has long been one of the principal Georgian Orthodox churches and is among the most venerated places of worship in the region. The present structure was completed in 1029 by the medieval Georgian architect Arsukisdze, although the site itself dates back to the early fourth century.

Svetitskhoveli is considered an endangered cultural landmark; it has survived a variety of adversities, and many of its priceless frescoes have been lost due to being whitewashed by the Russian Imperial authorities.

With Svetitskhoveli connected amazing legends. For example:

Brother and sister, Elios and Sidonia were fervent Christians. Elios went to Jerusalem to see Christ and speak to him, but kept up, alas, only to be crucified. He returned to Georgia with great value - non-woven tunic of Christ, who, according to legend, the Virgin Mary was woven. Once Sidonia picked up the coat, he prophesied the imminent end to the kingdom of Israel and died, overwhelmed by religious feelings. So it was buried with the tunic; over the grave of Sidonia grew a huge cedar.

Many years later, when St. Nino have finally brought Christianity to Georgia, King Mirian commanded to build over the tomb of Cydonia and tunic temple. As a basis decided to use the same cedar; tree cut down and dissolved the seven pillars. Six of them are embedded in the ground - and the seventh to be floating in the air. Nino prayed all night, and dawn was an angel, and lowered his pole into the ground, as it was said, "without the touch of human hands." From the hands of an angel post weeped - and the church "Life-giving pillar" has become very popular among the faithful. (episodesoftheroad.com .rus)

Denomination is in lower right corner.

Revers:

5 Lari 2011

On top is the map of Georgia.

5 Lari 2011 5 Lari 2011Centered is the Georgian gold lion excavated at Tsnori. dated from III century B.C. Today it is in The Simon Janashia Museum of Georgia (Georgian: სიმონ ჯანაშიას სახელობის საქართველოს მუზეუმი). It is formerly known as the State Museum of History of Georgia, is one of the main history museums in Tbilisi, Georgia, which displays the country’s principal archaeological findings.

Tsnori (Georgian: წნორი) is a town (since 1965) in Georgia’s Kakheti region. It is located in the Alazani Valley near the town Sighnaghi and has the population of 6,066 (2002 Georgia Census).

Archaeological digs at Tsnori have revealed clusters of kurgans which contain the most elaborate burial mounds among the Early Bronze Age kurgan cultures of South Caucasia.

The text of the museum's brochure:

The path of development of the Georgian jewelry art from the III-rd millennium BC before the advent of Christianity (IV century BC) is presented in three parts:

Kultura large mounds (III-II millennium BC).

Ancient articles of silver and gold, especially jewelry and a variety of ritual objects (vessels, etc.), were found on the territory of modern Kartli, Kakheti (Eastern Georgia) and Trialeti in the mounds, in the rich burials of persons who have held high positions in the society of the period.

"Colchis, rich in gold" (VIII-III century BC).

Colchis decoration V-IV century BC (Crown, temple rings, necklaces, bracelets, etc.) found in particularly large quantities, in the tombs of the nobles in Vani and Sairhe - the territory of the kingdom of Colchis (West Georgia), in the land of the mythical Golden Fleece, to which, Greco-Roman sources, used the epithet "rich in gold", like its famed wealth of the city: Mycenae and Babylon. These items of jewelry Colchis were created in the VIII-VI centuries BC, when, after a thousand years of pause, gold and silver ornaments appear almost the entire territory of Georgia.

5 Lari 2011Kingdom of Kartli or Iberia (III century BC- IV century BC).

Samples of jewelry IV-III centuries BC, found in Eastern Georgia, including Akhalgori treasure stands out for its uniqueness, belonged to the aristocracy who lived here until the kingdom of Kartli (Iberia), as it was mentioned in Greek and Roman written sources . Numerous examples of Iberian art of jewelry found in the graves of members of the royal house and the local nobility (pitiakhshes), point to the power of the kingdom of Iberia. These items are of very original polychrome style: How to make on the spot, and, true masterpieces and toreutics glyptic imported from Iran and Rome. (Прекрасное из далЁка .rus)

5 Lari 2011 5 Lari 2011On right side is the Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University (თბილისის ივანე ჯავახიშვილის სახელობის სახელმწიფო უნივერსიტეტი) with opened book in front - as symbol of knowledge.

Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University (Georgian: ივანე ჯავახიშვილის სახელობის თბილისის სახელმწიფო უნივერსიტეტი Ivane Javaxishvilis saxelobis Tbilisis saxelmts'ipo universit'et'i, often shortened to its historical name, Tbilisi State University or TSU), is a university established on 8 February 1918 in Tbilisi, Georgia. Excluding academies and theological seminaries which have intermittently functioned in Georgia for centuries, TSU is the oldest university in Georgia and the Caucasus region. Over 18,000 students are enrolled and the total number of faculty and staff (collaborators) is 5,000.

The university has five branches in the regions of Georgia, six faculties, 60 scientific-research laboratories and centers, a scientific library (with 3,700,000 books and periodicals), seven museums, publishing house and printing press (newspaper "Tbilisis Universiteti").

The main founder of the university was a Georgian historian and academician, Ivane Javakhishvili. Several scientists - Giorgi Akhvlediani, Shalva Nutsubidze, Dimitri Uznadze, Grigol Tsereteli, Akaki Shanidze, Andrea Razmadze, Korneli Kekelidze, Ioseb Kipshidze, Petre Melikishvili and Ekvtime Takaishvili were also co-founders. Professor Petre Melikishvili, a Georgian chemist, was chosen the first rector of TSU.

TSU has six faculties: Law, Economics and Business, Humanities, Medicine, Social and Political Sciences, Exact and Natural Sciences and the International School of Economics at Tbilisi State University as an autonomous graduate school of economics.

Denominations are on the left side and in lower right corner.

Comments:

Security strip with microtext.

Designer: Georgian artist Nodar Malazonia.

Designer of Lari sign: professional artist-ceramist Malkhaz Shvelidze.