Top
header Notes Collection

20 Heller 1920, Austria

no number in katalog -
Years of issue: 01.06.1920
Edition:
Signatures: Unknown signature
Serie: Notgeld
Specimen of: 01.06.1920
Material: Paper
Size (mm): 89 х 54
Printer: Der Fabrik Ungarholz aus Klosterneuburg

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

20 Heller 1920

Description

Watermark:

Avers:

20 Heller 1920

Top inscription: "Kassenschein der Gemeinde Hadersfeld im Wienerwald".

In English: "The banknote of Hadersfeld im Wienerwald community".

20 Heller 1920Across all field of banknote is Wild strawberry or woodland strawberry (Fragária vésca).

It is a perennial herbaceous plant in the rose family that grows naturally throughout much of the Northern Hemisphere, and that produces edible fruits.

Five to eleven soft-hairy white flowers are borne on a green, soft-hairy 3-15 centimeters (1.2-5.9 in.) stalk that usually lifts them above the leaves. The light-green leaves are trifoliate (in threes) with toothed margins. The plant spreads by means of runners (stolons).

20 Heller 1920Centered is the European roe deer (Capreólus capreólus).

Also known as the western roe deer, chevreuil, or simply roe deer, is an Eurasian species of deer. The male of the species is sometimes referred to as a roebuck. The roe deer is relatively small, reddish and grey-brown, and well-adapted to cold environments. The species is widespread in Europe, from the Mediterranean to Scandinavia and from Britain to the Caucasus. It is distinct from the somewhat larger Siberian roe deer.

The roe deer is a relatively small deer, with a body length of 95-135 cm. (3.1-4.4 ft.), a shoulder height of 65-75 cm. (2.1-2.5 ft.), and a weight of 15-35 kg (33-77 lb.). It has rather short, erect antlers and a reddish body with a grey face. Its hide is golden red in summer, darkening to brown or even black in winter, with lighter undersides and a white rump patch; the tail is very short (2-3 cm. or 0.8-1.2 in.), and barely visible. Only the males have antlers. The first and second set of antlers are unbranched and short (5-12 cm. or 2.0-4.7 in.), while older bucks in good conditions develop antlers up to 20-25 cm. (8-10 in.) long with two or three, rarely even four, points. When the male's antlers begin to regrow, they are covered in a thin layer of velvet-like fur which disappears later on after the hair's blood supply is lost. Males may speed up the process by rubbing their antlers on trees, so that their antlers are hard and stiff for the duels during the mating season. Unlike most cervids, roe deer begin regrowing antlers almost immediately after they are shed.

Within Europe, the European roe deer occurs in most areas, with the exception of northernmost Scandinavia (north of Narvik) and some of the islands, notably Iceland, Ireland, and the Mediterranean Sea islands; in the Mediterranean region, it is largely confined to mountainous regions, and is absent or rare at low altitudes.

A little about Hadersfeld in Wienerwald:

10 Heller 1920Hadersfeld

Altitude 439 meters.

Area of ​​3.47 km².

160 houses.

367 inhabitants.

The tallest place is situated on the heights of the Wienerwald, where the crest passes into the Kahlengebirge. It is a Kettendorf with highways, modern and recent blocks and a surrounding forest surrounding high location. The Sonnberg, on the southern border, is 441 meters high, the Heuberg is 347 meters east. The group of the Hadersfelder mountains, representing the north end of the Alps, is separated from the rest of the Wienerwald by the Kierlingbach and the Gugging saddle already used by the Romans as a street. As a beautiful viewpoint over the Danube up to the Bisamberg, to the Marchfeld and to the Rohrwald offers Hadersfeld a much-visited excursion point.

Around 1904 a separate Ortwasserleitung was built in Hadersfeld. There were several cases of typhoid fever in summer parties in the castle caused by the unsanitary water. Also, the houses built at many houses were not very productive, and often were not laid far enough away from manure pits and dung heaps. There were three sources of cleanliness in the immediate vicinity, but they were also very clean during the summer months. These sources were:

The "Königsbrunnenquelle", now surrounded by concrete rings, serves as a reservoir for the fire brigade.

The "Ameisenbründl" above Greifensteiner Straße and, finally, the source in the Kierlinger Graben. People who could afford it, the drinking water from the "old snapper" could be brought home with the water truck. In 1907, the Wasserleitung in Hadersfeld became one of the first in the district of Tulln.

In 1925 Hadersfeld was given the electric current. The electricity was very economical. It was used exclusively for lighting. Nevertheless, Hadersfeld had a particularly advanced road lighting. This was switched on from the house "Denk" (Feldgasse 6) between 18 and 20 clock, if necessary and at dusk. The reason for this was that during this time the farmers gave the milk in the milk casino. (www.staw.at .ger)

Denominations in numerals are on right and left sides.

Revers:

20 Heller 1920

Although, the money existed officially and had the purchasing power, but there were released a limited edition of notes - especially for collectors, which are not subject TO PAY BY and belonged exclusively as Austrian collector's "special series".

Number of such banknotes in specialized catalogue - FS 327Ia.

Left inscription:

"Nur für Sammler. Wird nicht eingelöst" or "Only for collectors. Will not be accepted for payments".

Right inscription:

"Erzeugt aus Sperrholzplatten aus der Fabrik Ungarholz Kolsterneuburg" or "Produced from plywood by the factory Ungarholz in Kolsterneuburg".

The inscription at bottom, centered: "Druck von F.Gutenberg, Wien" or "Made after print by F.Gutenberg, Vienna".

Comments:

An unusual material chosen by the Austrian municipality of Hadersfeld for these banknotes, issued of June 1, 1920 - the plywood boards from the Ungarholz factory in Klosterneuburg. Although, there were an official emergency money, which are listed in paper money catalogs, but - then were made a limited edition of emergency money, made of plywood, with the imprint "Only for collectors". They were therefore ones of the Austrian "special series". This assumption, that collectors would not pay the beautiful notes anyway, was also expressed in the inscriptions.

10 Heller 1920Klosterneuburg is a town in Tulln District in the Austrian state of Lower Austria. The Klosterneuburg Monastery, which was established in 1114 and soon after given to the Augustinians, is of particular historical importance.

It is located on the Danube River, immediately north of the Austrian capital Vienna, from which it is separated by the Kahlenberg and Leopoldsberg hills of the Vienna Woods range. It has been separated from its twin city of Korneuburg on the left bank of the Danube since the river changed its course during the Late Middle Ages. Both towns are connected by a reaction ferry link. The municipal area comprises the northern tip of the Donauinsel as well as the 515 m. (1,690 ft.) high Mt. Exelberg with its telecommunication tower.