Top
header Notes Collection

10 Heller 1920, Austria

no number in katalog -
Years of issue: 01.06.1920
Edition:
Signatures: Unknown signature
Serie: Notgeld
Specimen of: 01.06.1920
Material: Paper
Size (mm): 89 х 54
Printer: Der Fabrik Ungarholz aus Klosterneuburg

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

10 Heller 1920

Description

Watermark:

Avers:

10 Heller 1920

Top inscription: "Kassenschein der Gemeinde Hadersfeld im Wienerwald".

In English: "The banknote of Hadersfeld im Wienerwald community".

Across all field of banknote are flower pattern.

10 Heller 1920Centered are two European hares (Lepus europaeus).

The European hare (Lepus europaeus), also known as the brown hare, is a species of hare native to Europe and parts of Asia. It is among the largest hare species and is adapted to temperate, open country. Hares are herbivorous and feed mainly on grasses and herbs, supplementing these with twigs, buds, bark and field crops, particularly in winter. Their natural predators include large birds of prey, canids and felids. They rely on high-speed endurance running to escape from their enemies; having long, powerful limbs and large nostrils.

Generally nocturnal and shy in nature, hares change their behaviour in the spring, when they can be seen in broad daylight chasing one another around in fields. During this spring frenzy, they sometimes strike one another with their paws ("boxing"). This is usually not competition between males, but a female hitting a male, either to show she is not yet ready to mate or as a test of his determination. The female nests in a depression on the surface of the ground rather than in a burrow, and the young are active as soon as they are born. Litters may consist of three or four young and a female can bear three litters a year, with hares living for up to twelve years. The breeding season lasts from January to August.

The European hare is listed as being of least concern by the International Union for Conservation of Nature because it has a wide range and is moderately abundant. However, populations have been declining in mainland Europe since the 1960s, at least partly due to changes in farming practices. The hare has been hunted across Europe for centuries, with more than five million being shot each year; in Britain, it has traditionally been hunted by beagling and hare coursing, but these field sports are now illegal. The hare has been a traditional symbol of fertility and reproduction in some cultures, and its courtship behaviour in the spring inspired the English idiom mad as a March hare.

A little about Hadersfeld in Wienerwald:

10 Heller 1920Hadersfeld

Altitude 439 meters.

Area of ​​3.47 km².

160 houses.

367 inhabitants.

The tallest place is situated on the heights of the Wienerwald, where the crest passes into the Kahlengebirge. It is a Kettendorf with highways, modern and recent blocks and a surrounding forest surrounding high location. The Sonnberg, on the southern border, is 441 meters high, the Heuberg is 347 meters east. The group of the Hadersfelder mountains, representing the north end of the Alps, is separated from the rest of the Wienerwald by the Kierlingbach and the Gugging saddle already used by the Romans as a street. As a beautiful viewpoint over the Danube up to the Bisamberg, to the Marchfeld and to the Rohrwald offers Hadersfeld a much-visited excursion point.

Around 1904 a separate Ortwasserleitung was built in Hadersfeld. There were several cases of typhoid fever in summer parties in the castle caused by the unsanitary water. Also, the houses built at many houses were not very productive, and often were not laid far enough away from manure pits and dung heaps. There were three sources of cleanliness in the immediate vicinity, but they were also very clean during the summer months. These sources were:

The "Königsbrunnenquelle", now surrounded by concrete rings, serves as a reservoir for the fire brigade.

The "Ameisenbründl" above Greifensteiner Straße and, finally, the source in the Kierlinger Graben. People who could afford it, the drinking water from the "old snapper" could be brought home with the water truck. In 1907, the Wasserleitung in Hadersfeld became one of the first in the district of Tulln.

In 1925 Hadersfeld was given the electric current. The electricity was very economical. It was used exclusively for lighting. Nevertheless, Hadersfeld had a particularly advanced road lighting. This was switched on from the house "Denk" (Feldgasse 6) between 18 and 20 clock, if necessary and at dusk. The reason for this was that during this time the farmers gave the milk in the milk casino. (www.staw.at .ger)

Denominations in numerals are on right and left sides.

Revers:

10 Heller 1920

Although, the money existed officially and had the purchasing power, but there were released a limited edition of notes - especially for collectors, which are not subject TO PAY BY and belonged exclusively as Austrian collector's "special series".

Number of such banknotes in specialized catalogue - FS 327Ia.

Top inscription:

"Nur für Sammler. Wird nicht eingelöst" or "Only for collectors. Will not be accepted for payments".

Bottom inscription:

"Erzeugt aus Sperrholzplatten aus der Fabrik Ungarholz Kolsterneuburg" or "Produced from plywood by the factory Ungarholz in Kolsterneuburg".

The inscription at bottom, centered: "Druck von F.Gutenberg, Wien" or "Made after print by F.Gutenberg, Vienna".

Comments:

An unusual material chosen by the Austrian municipality of Hadersfeld for these banknotes, issued of June 1, 1920 - the plywood boards from the Ungarholz factory in Klosterneuburg. Although, there were an official emergency money, which are listed in paper money catalogs, but - then were made a limited edition of emergency money, made of plywood, with the imprint "Only for collectors". They were therefore ones of the Austrian "special series". This assumption, that collectors would not pay the beautiful notes anyway, was also expressed in the inscriptions.

10 Heller 1920Klosterneuburg is a town in Tulln District in the Austrian state of Lower Austria. The Klosterneuburg Monastery, which was established in 1114 and soon after given to the Augustinians, is of particular historical importance.

It is located on the Danube River, immediately north of the Austrian capital Vienna, from which it is separated by the Kahlenberg and Leopoldsberg hills of the Vienna Woods range. It has been separated from its twin city of Korneuburg on the left bank of the Danube since the river changed its course during the Late Middle Ages. Both towns are connected by a reaction ferry link. The municipal area comprises the northern tip of the Donauinsel as well as the 515 m. (1,690 ft.) high Mt. Exelberg with its telecommunication tower.