Top
header Notes Collection

10 Rupees 1985, Mauritius

in Krause book Number: P35a
Years of issue: 1985
Edition:
Signatures: Governor: Mr. Indurduth Ramphul, Managing Director: Mr. Ranapartab Tacouri
Serie: 1985 - 1991 Issue
Specimen of: 1985
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 132 x 64
Printer: TDLR (Thomas de la Rue & Company), London

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

10 Rupees 1985

Description

Watermark:

200 Rupees 1985

The Dodo (Raphus cucullatus) is an extinct flightless bird that was endemic to the island of Mauritius, east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean. Its closest genetic relative was the also extinct Rodrigues Solitaire, the two forming the subfamily Raphinae of the family of pigeons and doves.

The closest living relative of the Dodo is the Nicobar Pigeon. A white Dodo was once incorrectly thought to have existed on the nearby island of Réunion.

Subfossil remains show the Dodo was about 1 meter (3.3 feet) tall and may have weighed 10-18 kg. (22-40 lb.) in the wild. The Dodo's appearance in life is evidenced only by drawings, paintings and written accounts from the XVII century.

Avers:

10 Rupees 1985

Government HouseOn banknote, right of center, is the Government House in Port Louis, Mauritius.

The Government House in Port Louis is one of the oldest building we can find still standing graciously and dates back since the French colony. Whilst it wasn’t originally like it looks today, the Government House began construction under the first french governors of the island, namely Nicolas de Maupin (1729–1735) and Mahé de Labourdonnais (1735–1746) and served as the residence of the latter. It served as the venue for the Governor’s official business, as well as the many receptions and functions hosted by the occupant.

Mahé de La Bourdonnais established Port Louis as a naval base and a shipbuilding centre. Under his governorship, numerous buildings were built, a number of which still stand today: part of Government House, the Chateau de Mon Plaisir at Pamplemousses and the Line Barracks. The island was under the administration of the French East India Company which maintained its presence until 1767.

Originally the building consisted of a wooden compartment covered with palm leaves and in time this structure was replaced by a one-storey building during the times of Nicolas de Maupin. Mahé de Labourdonnais later converted this part into a larger surface area at the ground floor in 1738 and the building was then named Hôtel du Gouvernement. With time and under the colonies of both the french and the british the building knew even more changes and additions to take the final form of what we know today. The front view of the Government House lands on the Place D’Armes and the harbour, and can be said to be the heart of the city. (vintagemauritius.org)

The name to the city was given by the Governor De Nyon, it is mainly said the city has been named in honour of the King Louis XV and others say that it is in memory of the Port Louis Brittany.

Also, on banknote can be seen 2 statues, installed in front of Government House - to HM The Queen Victoria and to colonial administrator Sir William Stevenson (behind Queens statue).

More about these 2 monuments:

10 rupees Mauritius 10 rupees Mauritius 10 rupees MauritiusThe monument to Sir William Stevenson - the 9th Governor of Mauritius from 20 September 1857 to 9 January 1863.

Bronze statue, made by Mauritius sculptor Prosper d’Épinay (1836-1914), finished in 1864.

10 rupees Mauritius 10 rupees MauritiusThe monument to Sir William Stevenson was installed in 1864.

Sir William Stevenson KCB (1805 - 9 February 1863) was a Jamaican-born British colonial administrator who served as the 9th Governor of Mauritius from 20 September 1857 to 9 January 1863.

He was born to one of the oldest English families on Jamaica. He was the son of William James Stevenson of Kingston. His mother (née James) was descended from Colonel Richard James, who was the first person born of English parents in British Jamaica. Stevenson's grandmother (née Lawrence) was descended from Henry Lawrence, President of Cromwell's Council of State, whose son founded a plantation in Jamaica in the XVII century.

Stevenson was a barrister. He first served as superintendent of British Honduras from 1854–1857 before being appointed Governor of Mauritius in May 1857.

He was invested as a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath in 1862.

He married a Miss Allwood, and had a son, William Lawrence Stevenson, and a daughter, who married Colonel Sir Francis Marindin. He married secondly Caroline Octavia Biscoe, and their son was Francis Seymour Stevenson, M.P.

He died of dysentery in 1863.

10 rupees Mauritius 10 rupees MauritiusThe monument to HM The Queen Victoria in front of Government House, Mauritius. The inscription on says: "To the memory of beloved and much regretted Queen Victoria Empress of India The Inhabitants of Mauritius".

Many thanks to the following pages for some photos and info:

trove.nla.gov.au

dagtho.blogspot.de

coat of arms of Mauritius

The coat of arms of Mauritius is stipulated in the "Mauritius Laws 1990 Vol.2 SCHEDULE (Section 2)". The arms were designed by the Mayor of Johannesburg in 1906, Johann Van Der Puf. In the lower right quarter is a key and on the left-hand side is a white star, which are referred to in the Latin motto “Stella Clavisque Maris Indici” meaning “The Star and the Key of the Indian Ocean“.

Blazon:

The armorial ensigns and supporters of Mauritius are described as:

(a) for arms- Quarterly azure and gold.In the first quarter a gold Lymphad.

In the second, 3 palm trees vertical.

In the third, a key in pale the wards downwards gules.

In the Issuant, from the base a pile, and in chief a mullet argent.

(b) for the supporters-On the Dexter side, a dodo per bend sinister embattled gules and argent, and, on the sinister side, a Sambar deer per bend embattled argent and gules, each supporting a sugar cane erect properly.

(c) with the motto "Stella Clavisque Maris Indici” (Star and Key of the Indian Ocean).

Denominations in Western numerals are in the lower left and upper right corners. In the upper left and lower right corners they are in Bhojpuri language.

Bhojpuri is an Indo-Aryan language spoken in Bhojpuri region of North India and Nepal. It is chiefly spoken in the Purvanchal region of Uttar Pradesh, in the western part of state of Bihar, and the northwestern part of Jharkhand in India. Bhojpuri is also spoken widely in Guyana, Suriname, Fiji, and Mauritius. It is one of the national languages of Guyana, Fiji, and Suriname.

The variant of Bhojpuri of the Indo-Surinamese is also referred to as Sarnami Hindustani, Sarnami Hindi or just Sarnami and has experienced considerable Creole and Dutch lexical influence. More Indians in Suriname know Bhojpuri, whereas in Guyana and Trinidad the language is largely forgotten. In Mauritius a dialect of Bhojpuri remains in use, and it is locally called Bojpury.

Revers:

10 Rupees 1985

bridge bridge bridgeOn banknote, centered is the Old bridge in Moka district, near The State House, Mauritius. So far, more detailed information on this bridge is not found, I only know its approximate location and length - 200 meters.

Details on the State house and its Garden you can read here.

On left side is laurel branch, on right side - outline map of Mauritius.

Denominations in Bhojpuri language are in the lower right and upper left corners. In the upper right and lower left corners - in Western numerals.

Comments:

On banknote is denomination in numeral 10 visible (3 times) in UV by orange color!

200 rupees 2007200 rupees 2007The image of the Dodo is present on some coins of Mauritius. I have one such coin. It is 200 Rupees 2007, dedicated to the 40th Anniversary of Bank of Mauritius.