header Notes Collection
Top

20 Rubels 2009, Belarus

no number in katalog -
Years of issue: 01.07.2016
Edition: 10 000 000
Signatures: Старшыня праўлення Нацыянальнага банка: Пётр Пятровіч Пракаповіч (03.1998 - 07.2011)
Serie: My country - Belarus
Specimen of: 2009
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 143 x 72
Printer: De la Rue currency,Loughton

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

20 Rubels 2009

Description

Watermark:

WatermarkWatermark - central part of the Rumiancev's and Paskevich's palace, in Gomel and cornerstones. About The Rumiancev's and Paskevich's palace please read an obverse description!

Avers:

20 Rubels 2009

The Rumyantsev-Paskevich palace in the town of Gomel, window from second floor of the castle (divided on 6 parts) is on left side, the clock tower near palace is in top right corner and the vase in Palace park is in lower right corner.

20 Рублей 2009 20 Рублей 2009Centered is The Rumiancev's and Paskevich's palace, in Gomel (Палац Румянцавых і Паскевічаў).

The Rumyantsev-Paskevich Residence is the main place of historical importance in the city of Gomel, Belarus. The grounds of the residence stretch for 800 meters along the steep right bank of the Sozh River. Marshal Pyotr Rumyantsev was built between 1777 and 1796 to a Neoclassical design attributed to Ivan Starov. The palace replaced the ruined castle of Gomel's previous owner, Michael Frederick Czartoryski. The central part is surmounted by a square belvedere with a wide flat dome. The six-columned Corinthian portico faces an extensive English park.

20 Рублей 2009The main portico is placed on a high platform and is supported by four Corinthian columns.

After Pyotr Rumyantsev's death in 1796, the grounds were slowly improved by his son Nicholas (1754-1826). His brother Sergei was the next owner. He was never interested in country housekeeping and promptly sold the palace to the crown (1834).

After the Russian Revolution the palace was nationalized to house a local museum. Paskevich's daughter-in-law Irina had to move from the palace into an ordinary flat. The buildings sustained heavy damage in the Russian Civil War and World War II. They were shared by the Gomel History Museum and the local pioneers' palace until the late 1990s. The current Neoclassical interiors result from a late 1990s restoration campaign.

The park contains a modern statue of Count Nikolay Rumyantsev. The original marble statues of Euripides, Venus, Athena, Ares, Bacchus, and the Nymph were lost. It was only in 2006 that the replacement statues were put in place. The Paskevich art collection also boasted several paintings by Ivan Kramskoi, Marcin Zaleski, and January Suchodolski, as well as a marble bust of Count Rumyantsev by Antonio Canova.

The bronze equestrian statue of Prince Joseph Poniatowski by Bertel Thorvaldsen, which Paskevich had brought from Warsaw as a trophy in 1842, was dismantled by the Poles during the Polish-Soviet War and transported back to Warsaw, only to be destroyed by the Germans in the 1940s. Its copy stands in front of the Presidential Palace, Warsaw.

Other buildings on the grounds are the Russian Revival chapel with the tombs of Ivan Paskevich and his family, a winter garden (which originated as Prince Paskevich's sugar-mill), several subsidiary outbuildings, and a set of cannons captured by Paskevich's soldiers in the course of the Russo-Turkish War (1828-1829).

By far the most conspicuous landmark in the park is the Neoclassical church of St. Peter and Paul. It was commissioned by Count Nikolay Rumyantsev from architect John Clark in 1809 but was not consecrated until 1824. The church is the seat of the local Orthodox bishopric.

20 Рублей 2009 20 Рублей 2009In top right corner is the clock tower of the palace.

In 1834 the castle was immediately purchased by Field Marshal, Ivan Paskevich, who had both, the palace and the park, substantially renovated. He employed architect Adam Idźkowski to add a four-storey tower and a three-storey wing to the existing structure. Here was the library of master of the house, which has a rich collection of works of art.

And a little more about the clock tower, which is depicted on the banknote.

The clock on the tower of the Palace of Rumyantsev-Paskevich, of course, not up to the famous clock tower Big Ben Palace of Westminster in London, but in its own way is one of the attractions of the Gomel palace and park ensemble. Watch, then mechanical, it has been established at a time when the owner of the palace was Fedor Paskevich. The dial was white with black Roman numerals on it. The melody they played not known, perhaps, it was not at all, but takes them, according to one version, at the bottom, not climbing the tower. While confirm it now, no one can. Prior to overhaul hours in 2008, they are almost the entire Soviet period, played the tune of "Люблю мой край, старонку гэту ...". After the repair has acquired digital clock view of the beginning of XX century, with a white dial and Roman numerals, while maintaining a caveat. Roman numeral IV is written, as well as in pre-revolutionary times, somewhat unusual - IIII. Watch now acquired not only the previous form, but also super-modern Swiss interior. Installation of the Swiss mechanism, as well as all repair was carried out employees of the Gomel firm "Privacy" at the coordinating assistance to the Swiss side. Now the clock is set to perform a few tunes of songs era of military campaigns of Field Marshal Ivan Paskevich. (www.ilook.by .rus).

20000 Rubel 2011 20000 Rubel 2011In lower right corner is old stone vase, which standing near Rumiancev's and Paskevich's palace, in Gomel.

In Warsaw seen interesting "vase". Take a look at the two pictures.

The first shows an architectural form, that all of you, probably, have seen in the territory of palace and garden, near the Palace of Rumyantsev-Paskevich. And the second found in the Polish capital.

Probably not coincidentally, they are so similar. Recall the historical fact: Field Marshal Ivan Paskevich, one of the owners of the Gomel estate, is His Serene Highness Prince of Warsaw. This title he won for the suppression of the November Uprising in Poland. Photo by V. Gusev. (www.vgomele.by .rus)

At the upper edge inscription: "НАЦЫЯНАЛЬНЫЙ БАНК РЭСПУБЛІКІ БЕЛАРУСЬ". Slightly to the left it posted a year (2009) and the signature of the official - the head of the National Bank of Belarus. Nominal number marked in the upper left corner and in the center of the banknote. In words vertically on the left edge and horizontally in the lower right corner (ДВАЦЦАЦЬ РУБЛЁЎ).

Revers:

20 Rubels 2009

The collage devoted to spirituality (the bell (view of 1928) of St. Nicholas Monastery Complex in Mogilev, the Turov Gospel, ancient town of Turov, and fragments of carving).

20 Рублей 2009 20 Рублей 2009 20 Рублей 2009The central motif - ancient Turov, wood carving and the bell (view of 1928) in St. Nicholas Monastery Complex, in Mogilev.

Turau (Belarusian: Ту́раў, Russian: Туров, Ukrainian: Турів, Polish: Turów) is a town in the Zhytkavichy District of Gomel Region of Belarus and the former capital of the medieval Principality of Turov and Pinsk.

Turov was an ancient capital of the Dregovichs tribe - one of the three Eastern Slavic tribes that are considered ancestors of the modern Belarusian people (the others being Krivichs and Drevlians). Turov was first mentioned in the Tale of Bygone Years from 980. It is located in the southern part of Belarus, in the historical region of Polesia.

According to legend, the city was founded at the crossing of Yazda and Strumen rivers by Duke Tur - hence the name Turov. Other etymology draws the name from Tur, the Slavic name of the Aurochs. Both rivers join with the Pripyat river, which in turn flows into the Dnieper and then leads to the Black Sea. This river route was known to Vikings, who used it extensively for communication and during their frequent raids to Constantinople.

The Varangian dynasty of Ruriks became dukes in the neighboring Duchy of Kiev. Soon Turov also came under the dominion of a local branch of dukes of the Rurik Dynasty and particularly of Izyaslav I, son of Yaroslav the Wise. In that period the town of Turaŭ was not only an important trade center within the Kievan Rus, due to its proximity to major trade routes running from the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea, but also one of the most important cities of the Rus among Kiev, Chernihiv, Novgorod, and Pereyaslav. The Prince of Turov, the main contender to the throne of Grand Duchy of Rus before their subjugation to Monomakhs considerably influenced early politics of the neighboring Duchy of Poland in the 11th century having together an intertwined history.

Thanks to the towns' strategic location, many different crafts were developed and practiced in Turov. It was also home to bishop Cyril of Turov, an ancient Ruthenian philosopher and religious figure. In 1005 the first Roman Christian bishopric on the territory of Belarus was founded in Turov. The town's period of prosperity ended with a number of feudal conflicts in the 12th century. Soon afterwards Turaŭ lost much of its importance as well as its autonomy.

In 1320 Turov became a part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania having closely assimilated with the Prince of Minsk. In 1430 it became a private town of the Grand Duke Svitrigaila. In the end of the 15th century Turaŭ became a property of Grand Court Marshal of Lithuania Michal Glinski. In 1502 it was damaged by a Tatar invasion. After Glinski's betrayal and escape to Grand Duchy of Moscow in 1508, Turov was confiscated by the family of Konstanty Ostrogski, who started the reconstruction, but the town was yet again destroyed by the Tatars in 1521. The Ostrogski family owned the town for more than a century, until it was given as a dowry to the Sapieha and then Potocki magnate families. During The Deluge the town was taken by Muscovy, but was soon retaken by Janusz Radziwiłł. After the period of constant wars with Muscovy, the town was severely damaged. By 1667, Turov had only 111 households left of the 401 there in 1648.

The town never fully recovered. After the Second Partition of Poland in 1793 it was annexed by Russia and remained a small, provincial town for most of the 19th century. From that time onwards it shared the fate of the nearby town of Gomel.

The shtetl (Jewish community) in Turov began in the 16th century. The population of Jewish people reached its peak at the end of the 19th century. After that time they began to emigrate to larger cities and to other countries. Turov was subjected to pogroms (violence against Jewish communities), but the Jewish population managed to hang on through World War I and the Russian Revolution. Even after the Bolsheviks took over, the Jewish population continued to carry on their traditions and there was a degree of tolerance among the non-Jewish population of Turov. Greater efforts to suppress religious activity began in the 1930s.

In 1921 two schools opened in Turov, both a general school and a Yiddish school, both were attended by Jewish students. There were three synagogues in Turov, one Misnagdim and two Hasidic. All three closed in the early 1930s.

The Jewish population in Turov was wiped out during World War II. Some Jews volunteered to join the army to fight the Germans. The first German army units to come through Turov, in July 1941, did nothing to the Jewish population. Persecution began with the arrival of later units. Very few families returned after the war and as of 2003 there were only three Jewish people living in Turov.

20 Рублей 2009 20 Рублей 2009 20 Рублей 2009On background is the Turov gospel.

Turov Gospel ( "Turov sheets"; Bel. Тураўскае Евангелле) - Handwritten Gospel-Aprakos, created in the XI century, the text is written in Cyrillic. Stored in the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences library. Turov Gospel is one of the oldest releases of Slavic Literature.

From the manuscript survived only 10 sheets. They were found in Turov, in 1865, in a box from the coal, by two members of organized by Vilna school District Archaeological and Ethnographic Expedition - N.I. Sokolov (supernumerary teacher of Vilna school district), and V.V. Grjaznov, teacher of 1st Vilna gymnasium of drawing. The manuscript arrived in Vilna Public Library, has been studied and published. In 1868 it was released chromalitografic edition of the Gospel, and in 1869, in Vilna, was released the research of Turov Gospels text, prepared by P.A. Giltebrandt - "Turov Gospel XI century: 1. Brief News of Turov Gospel; 2. Ancient text with modern opposite to. and noted on Ostrom Gospel." In 1876, I. I. Sreznevsky published it in St. Petersburg.

The manuscript is written on vellum by brown ink. Used sheet size of about 22.2 cm. in length and 17.8 cm. in width, lined on lines 17-18 pro page. The surviving fragments are eleven letters with the initials "O", "P" and "B", painted in blue, green and red. On two sheets survived two removable recording beginning of XVI century (1508 and 1513 years) for land Turov Church of the Transfiguration, granted to her by Prince Constantine from Ostrog. Said insert were confirmed in 1731 and 1790, as well as the records were made on the fields.

20 Рублей 2009 20 Рублей 2009 20 Рублей 2009Across all field of banknote, as well as on lower band, are Belorussian traditional pattern - triptych "the memory of ancestors".

Three decorative panels are combined under the title "Memory of ancestors." In these works, used archaic patterns of the Belarusian national ornament, which have reached us from the depths of the ancient pagan culture and carry the hidden information about the life of our ancestors, their beliefs about the world and its relations with them. From these basic patterns are formed images: symbols of ancestors, family, child. This ornamental signs attributed magical powers that helped to live in harmony with nature, protected from evil forces and contributed to a happy life and well-being. (skarbnica.by .rus)

Face value is indicated in top right corner. In numbers and in words (20 РУБЛЁЎ) in the bottom left corner. Series banknotes marked with the number at the left edge (vertical orientation with increasing a size, black color) and lower right (the horizontal orientation, the growing size of type, brown or black color).

Comments:

20 Rubles 2009 with the signature of the P.P. Prokopovich issued in 11 prefixes: СА, СВ, СЕ, СН, СІ, СК, СМ, СР, СТ, СХ, ХХ. XX Series is replacement Serie.

In addition to the common usage of series, prefix AC released for set of commemorative banknotes "Moja kraina - Belarus" (1000 pieces). All everyday series began arriving in the treatment of 1 July 2016. (belbonistika.com .rus)

20 Рублей 2009 20 Рублей 2009Now are only 1 difference in these banknotes is known. Difference is in latent image on front, right and in color of horizontal (lower) serial number. One type has wide waves (20 waves, counted from left border) and serial number brown (prefixes СН, СК, СМ, СТ), and another type has narrow waves (25 waves, counted from left border), serial number black (prefixes СС, СІ, СР, СХ, ХХ).