header Notes Collection
Top

5 Rubels 2009, Belarus

no number in katalog -
Years of issue: 01.07.2016
Edition: 10 000 000
Signatures: Старшыня праўлення Нацыянальнага банка: Пётр Пятровіч Пракаповіч (03.1998 - 07.2011)
Serie: My country - Belarus
Specimen of: 2009
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 135 x 72
Printer: De la Rue currency,Loughton

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

5 Rubels 2009

Description

Watermark:

WatermarkWatermark - Kamenets Tower and cornerstones. About Kamenets Tower please read an obverse description!

Avers:

5 Rubels 2009

5 Рублей 2009 5 Рублей 2009 5 Рублей 2009On the banknote depicts a collage of Kamenetz tower elements - the tower itself, the top of the wall and the window-slits.

Wends brickwork - the most ancient masonry in Europe (Lombardy XII century, Silesia - XII - XIII century, Mazovia, Little Poland - XIII century). In the XIII century, it was used in the Galicia-Volyn principality. Typical architecture for Volyn. This masonry is laid Kamianiec pillar.

In the Grand Duchy of Lithuania appeared in the beginning of the XIV century. During the XV century. gradually fell into disuse and was replaced by a more sophisticated gothic. In the Middle Ages, Germans called all Slavs living in the neighborhood as Wenden.

It consists of two layers which alternate with one spoon poking. (Second row in front of a perfect clutch is shifted by 1/4 of the bricks on the previous series in the same direction.)

Now about Kamenets Tower itself:

5 Рублей 2009 5 Рублей 2009The town of Kamenets, Brest Oblast, is home to a unique specimen of defense architecture – the Kamenets Tower (also referred to as the Kamenets pillar or Kamenets Vezha). Its origins go back a long way to the second half of the XIII century.

The majestic building resembling a chess rook is located on the hill near the Lesnaya River which was full-flowing back then.

According to the chronicles, the Kamenets Tower was built between 1276 and 1288 on the orders of Galicia–Volhynia Prince Vladimir Vasilkovich by architect Aleksa who found the site to build a town and a wooden castle.

The Kamenets Tower is Volhynian type and shares some features with donjon towers that were widespread in Western Europe in the XII-XIII centuries.

The five-tier round building (30 meters high, 2.5 meters thick with the outer diameter of 13.6 meters) has a 2.3-meter-high foundation which is 16 meters in diameter. The tower is made of dark-red and yellowish bricks.

The tower in Kamenets was built for defensive purposes and therefore lacks architectural and decorative elements. Instead, it has thin portholes and four flat niches with semicircular ends. The top part of the tower, which is now an observation platform, is surrounded by 14 rectangular merlons with apertures. A decorative strip runs around the top of the tower.

The same towers were widespread in many Belarusian towns such as Brest, Grodno, Mstislavl, Myadel, Novogrudok, Polotsk, Radoshkovichi, Turov and Shklov but only the Kametets Tower still survives as a unique specimen of the medieval architecture.

During the XIV-XVII centuries the tower survived crusaders’ raids and assaults by Polish and Lithuanian forces, armies of Rzeczpospolita, Sweden and the Moscow State.

By the XIX century the Kamenets tower had lost its defensive importance and was neglected. In 1822 attempts were made to disassemble the brick masonry, but over the centuries it turned into a stone.

The remains of the earth mound which the tower stood on disappeared in 1903 following restoration works. According to Suslov’s architectural project, the earth mound was removed and the first tier, which had been considered a cellar, appeared above the ground. A stone rampart was built around the tower. That was the last major restoration of the tower and since then the appearance of the Kamenets Tower has not changed.

In the early 1950s the tower was for the first time whitened and the floor was paved with stone. Restoration works were also carried out in 1968-1973 and 1996-2003.

There are a lot of myths and legends surrounding the Kamenets Tower. Some of them are plausible, some are nothing but fairytales. One of such fantastic legends says that the Kamenets Tower was built by an unknown giant and is a monument to him.

Currently the silhouette of the Kamenets Tower is one of the most recognizable architectural symbols of Belarus. The word combination Belaya Vezha (White Tower) has become a brand. In Belarus there is a sanatorium called Belaya Vezha as well as a casino, several restaurants and many alcohol and food products.

Since 1996 the International Theater Festival Belaya Vezha has been held in Brest bringing together both famous and young directors, actors, musicians, artists and theater lovers from the entire world.

However, the tower in Kamenets has not been always called Belaya Vezha. The name was born in the 20th century after the author of the book Belovezhskaya Pushcha Georgy Kartsov made a blunder writing that the tower was located on the Belaya River. Today historians think that there was another tower that gave its name to Belovezhskaya Pushcha.

The color of the Kamenets Tower was always brick-red because the red color masked the damage to the walls which made it more difficult for the enemy to shoot with maximum efficiency. Over the centuries the tower has been called the Kamenets Vezha, Kamenets pillar, Kamenets tower... However, today it is often called Belaya Vezha.

Today the Kamenets Tower is a historical and cultural monument protected by the state.

The Kamenets Tower museum is located here, too. The excursions named "Kamenets’ Architectural Monuments" are organized on the observation platform of the tower. This must-see site is included in various excursions. (www.belarus.by .rus)

At the upper edge inscription: "НАЦЫЯНАЛЬНЫЙ БАНК РЭСПУБЛІКІ БЕЛАРУСЬ". Slightly to the left it posted a year (2009) and the signature of the official - the head of the National Bank of Belarus. Nominal number marked in the upper left corner and in the center of the banknote. In words vertically on the left edge and horizontally in the lower right corner (ПЯЦЬ РУБЛЁЎ).

Revers:

5 Rubels 2009

5 Рублей 2009On the banknote depicts a collage, dedicated to the first Slavic settlement (fragment of leather belt, wooden wheel, the image of the ancient citadel "Berestye").

The exposed part of the citadel is definitely a craft quarter. The existence of different crafts in Berestye evidenced by the remains of various tools, raw material, semi-finished products.

Widespread in ancient Berestye received the Tanning. From high-quality leather shoes sewed shoes, boots, the pistons.

Leather belt and ancient wooden wheel on the note - apparently - are the museums "Berestye" exhibits.

Now about museum:

Opened March 2, 1982 at a hospital island (Volyn strengthening) of the Brest fortress on the site of the citadel of the ancient town of birch bark.

From 1969 to 1981. and in 1988 under the direction of Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor Peter Fedorovich Lysenko conducted excavations, which resulted in more than 220 were found wooden structures XI-XIII centuries, three street bridge, palisades, numerous objects of material culture of the time. Was opened area of ​​over 1800 m2, of which more than 500 m2 to the mainland.

At January 18, 1972 the BSSR Council of Ministers decided to establish a museum "Berestye" and the construction of a special pavilion. His project developed by architects "Belgosproekt" V.V.Kramarenko, M.K.Vinogradov, V.I.Scherbina. Pavilion area of ​​40 x 60 meters was built of concrete, glass, anodized aluminum and is a gable ceiling with skylights in the middle. Its contours are reminiscent of ancient dwellings and both layers of the earth, revealing the ancient city.

The main exhibit of the museum "Berestye" - an archaeological excavation with residential and farm buildings XIII cc center of the pavilion - excavation, covering an area of ​​1118 m2. At a depth of 4 meters is part of the artisan quarter - 28 of wooden residential and farm buildings of XIII century, two street pavements, palisade, the remains of clay ovens..

The cultural layer thickness of up to seven meters high humidity helped to keep many buildings on 5-9 rims, and some even to 12 crowns, which is a rarity. Excavations have revealed the original layout of the ancient birch bark, where the main planning elements were street. Dwellings adjoined to the streets of blank walls, were placed in the 3-4 series between the streets at a distance of 0.4-0.6 m. From each other. These were ground single- square in terms of buildings, felled in a simple angle of round softwood logs. Doorways were cut from 3-4th crown bottom to a height of 6-7 crowns, window to the height of one or two crowns were located almost under the roof. Gable roofs were covered with chipped boards. The base served as a lining under the corners of the houses or the remains of the previous buildings.

During the creation of a museum focused on the problem of preservation of wooden buildings. For the first time a group of researchers of the Belorussian Institute of Technology named after S.M. Kirov composed of Yu.V.Vihrov, V.A.Borisov and S.Yu.Kazanskaja and implemented conservation of archaeological wood in the field by surface and deep impregnation of an aqueous solution of phenol alcohols with subsequent heat treatment. This method was developed by the rector of the Belorussian Institute of Technology named after S.M. Kirov, professor V.E.Vihrov.

On both sides of the excavation arranged exhibition halls with a total area 252 m2. The museum presents 1,200 objects, which reveal the following topics: the origin and history of the ancient city of birch bark, planning and building of the city, iron-craft, non-ferrous metal, bone carving, leather crafts, spinning, weaving, pottery and woodworking, reconstruction of dwelling berests (XIII century), agriculture, livestock, hunting and fishing, trade, culture, and history Berestye research. Wooden buildings, details of bridge are conserved with special solutions, able to save this unique historical material for posterity. (Брестский областной краеведческий музей .rus)

Face value is indicated in top right corner. In numbers and in words (5 РУБЛЁЎ) in the bottom left corner. Series banknotes marked with the number at the left edge (vertical orientation with increasing a size, black color) and lower right (the horizontal orientation, the growing size of type, red-orange color).

Comments:

5 Rubles 2009 with the signature of the P.P. Prokopovich issued in 10 prefixes: AA, AB, AE, AH, AK, AM, AR, AT, AX, XX. XX Series is replacement Serie.

In addition to the common usage of series, prefix AC released for set of commemorative banknotes "Moja kraina - Belarus" (1000 pieces). All everyday series began arriving in the treatment of 1 July 2016. (belbonistika.com .rus)

5 Рублей 2009 5 Рублей 2009Currently, there are two kinds of banknote 5 Rubles 2009 with the signature of the P.P. Prokopovich. Distinction between these variants is the presence or absence of the latent image between the edge and the rest of the image metallographic.