header Notes Collection
Top

20 000 Rubels 1994, Belarus

in Krause book Number: 13
Years of issue: 28.12.1994 - 01.01.2001
Edition:
Signatures: Старшыня праўлення Нацыянальнага банка: Станіслаў Антонавіч Багданкевіч (1991 - 1995)
Serie: 1994 - 1996 Issue
Specimen of: 28.12.1994
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 150 x 69
Printer: Goznak, Московская печатная фабрика - филиал ФГУП "Гознак", Москва

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

20 000 Rubels 1994

Description

Watermark:

Watermark

Watermark - Tower of Kamyenyets.

Watermark

The Tower of Kamyenyets, often called by the misnomer the White Tower (Belarusian: Белая вежа, transliteration: Bielaya Vieža or Belaya Vezha), is the main landmark of the town of Kamyenyets in Belarus. Erected in 1271–1289 by the architect Oleksa as a frontier stronghold on the northern border of the principality of Volhynia, it is the only such tower remaining to this day in the area. The name Bielaja Vieža (alternative transliteration: Belaya Vezha), which literally means White Tower or White Fortress in Belarusian, presumably derives from the tower's proximity to the Belavezhskaya Pushcha Forest, but not from its color, which has been brick-red through the ages, never white.

Standing atop a gentle rise overlooking the Liasnaja river, the tower is the main landmark of Kamyenyets today. The first record in the chronicles about the foundation of the tower dates from 1276. It was erected in the 1270s. Today it is a national historic site. Since 1960 the tower houses a branch of the Brest regional museum. Once similar towers were built in Brest (Byerastsye), Grodno, Turaw, Navahradak, but they were destroyed in the course of wars. The tower of Kamieniec is the only one that survived in Belarus until the present.

The advantageous location on the stony steep bank of the Liasnaja River for the construction of the frontier stronghold, a castle with a keep on the northern border of Volhynia principality was found by Oleksa. Vladimir Vasilkovich, the prince of Volhynia, liked the place and ordered Oleksa to build the castle.

Architect is Oleksa, lived in the XIII century. He was a prominent builder and architect in Volyn principality. His talent was highly appreciated by Vladimir Vasilkovich, the prince of Volyn, who ordered him to construct castles with keeps in Brest and Kamyenyets.

The tower was entirely built of brick, that makes it unique. The brick construction was rarely used in this part of Europe until the close of the Middle Ages, as the brick production was costly in those days. Till the 16th century mostly rubbleworks prevailed in fortifications and churches and monasteries, only some parts of exterior were built of brick. The tower traces the influence of Western Europe, where brickwork was used extensively in the late XIII – early XIV century.

Unlike the narrow loopholes on lower levels, the pointed big lancet windows and niches on the upper floor are an excellent example of early Gothic architecture in Belarus. The openings of the windows and niches were plastered and whitewashed. The windows were designed to permit the entry of light into the apartments, where the nobility used to live during sieges. Glass windows was another contribution to Gothic architecture. It is apparent that the residents were eager to make themselves at home in the keep. The upper part of the tower was furnished with battlements and a pattern of surface modeling of the brickwork, several nice ring dog tooth courses running below the battlements.

The brickwork features a peculiar Baltic bond: a course consists of 2 stretchers and 1 header. Some bricks on the exterior were damaged or dismantled by the local peasants, the brickwork was repaired in 1903 while the archeological excavations were going on around the tower. 10,000 bricks were used for the work.

Avers:

20 000 Rubels 1994

National Bank National Bank

The National Bank of the Republic of Belarus is the central bank of Belarus, located in the capital city, Minsk. The bank was created in 1922 under the name of "Belarusian Republican Bank" by the Soviet of People's Commissars of Belorussia, but soon worked under the direction of the State Bank of the USSR.

Undergoing reorganizations in 1959 and 1987, the bank appeared in its current form in 1990 after the passage of banking rules upon declaring independence from the Soviet Union.

The building was built in 1947-1952, by architect M. Parusnikov. In his architectural decision interpreted the motives of classicism and the Renaissance, gives the building a monumentality and splendor.

On either side of the image patterned in the vignettes taken denomination 20000. Top in patterned border is the inscription "НАЦЫЯНАЛЬНЫ БАНК РЭСПУБЛІКІ БЕЛАРУСЬ РАЗЛІКОВЫ БІЛЕТ". In the upper right corner is placed the abbreviation "НБРБ". Under the image of the bank placed the number 20000 larger format under which the denomination is indicated verbally "ДВАЦЦАЦЬ ТЫСЯЧ РУБЛЁЎ". On either side of this line passes through the 4 defensive line of small repetitive numbers 20000. In the lower right corner of the signature placed the head of the Board (under "СТАРШЫНЯ ПРАЎЛЕННЯ"). Under the signature vignettes placed inside patterned year - 1994.

Revers:

20 000 Rubels 1994

In the field of guilloche elements placed vignette, inside which a blue patterned background of coat of arms "Pursuit" is placed, Belarus State emblem for the period from 1991 to 1995. Over vignette inscription indicating the denomination "ДВАЦЦАЦЬ ТЫСЯЧ РУБЛЁЎ". As indicated below nominal vignette on its sides, with the help of numbers 20000 blue. Between these numbers are six strings protective inscriptions. Number and series of notes are listed at the top left and right of the coat of arms below the emblem. Moreover, the upper sign - red, lower - black. In the lower left corner of the banknote is placed ornamental vignette. In the upper left corner of the inscription "ПАДРОБКА РАЗЛІКОВЫХ БІЛЕТАЎ НАЦЫЯНАЛЬНАГА БАНКА БЕЛАРУСІ ПРАСЛЕДУЕЦЦА ПА ЗАКОНУ."

Comments:

Withdrawn from circulation since January 1, 2001.

20 rubles series of 2000 were issued in 33 prefixes: АА, АБ, АВ, АГ, АЕ, АЗ, АК, АЛ, АМ, АН, АО, АП, АР, АС, АТ, АУ, АХ, АЧ, АЭ, АЯ, БА, ББ, БВ, БГ, БЕ, БЗ, БК, БЛ, БМ, БН, БО, БП, БР. (belbonistika.com .rus)