header Notes Collection
Top

75 Pfennig 1920, Nörenberg, Germany

Manfred Mehl. Deutsche Serienscheine Number: 979.15
Years of issue: 01.06.1920
Edition: --
Signatures: Bürgermeister: Streit
Serie: Notgeld
Specimen of: 01.06.1920
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 100 х 65
Printer: Rats-Druckerei - R.Duke, Glauchau i. Ga.

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

75 Pfennig 1920, Nörenberg

Description

Watermark:

Avers:

75 Pfennig 1920, Nörenberg

Along the perimeter is a flower ornament of acanthus leaves.

The inscription centered: "Fünfundsiebenzig Pfennig zahlt die städtische Sparkasse dem Einlieferer dieses Scheines Die Gültigkeit dieses Notgeldscheines erlischt 3 Monate nach erfolgter ortsüblicher Bekanntmachung."

In English:"Seventy-five pfennig shall be paid by the municipal savings bank to the consignor of the voucher. The validity of this voucher will be extinguished 3 months after the public announcement has been made."

wappenCentered is the coat of arms of Nörenberg - red eagle.

Denominations in numerals are in lower corners and above.

Revers:

75 Pfennig 1920, Nörenberg

Nörenberg Nörenberg

On background is the view at the city of Nörenberg (today Ińsko, Poland).

The exact date of the city is not known. It was probably due to the year 1248, when the founding of the monastery of Marienfließ, Duke Barnim I furnished it with lands which extended to Lake Enzig, but were largely uninhabited at this time. The first documentary document dates from 1312, in which the city of Nörenberg is issued the bishop's money for eight years. Nörenberg was part of the Margraves of Brand. In 1335 Ludwig von Brandnörenberg granted an exemption from the Bede to four years, which he extended in 1335 for a further five years. In 1350, Nörenberg transferred to Henning von Wedel as a pledge, which, four years later, he purchased from Ludwig as a succession for Margrave. Nörenberg remained the property of the Wedel in the middle of the 17th century, only in 1371 the city belonged to Duke Casimir III.

Through the brothers Ludwig and Hasso von Wedel the construction of a castle took place in 1372. As a result of the sale of the Neumark to the Teutonic Order by King Sigismund in 1402, Nörenberg was involved in the war negotiations between the Orderers and Poland-Lithuania. In 1421, the Poles collapsed and plundered the city and the castle.

In Nörenberg, which had become Brandenburg again since 1454, the Reformation took place in 1530 and the Dominican monastery was dissolved. Through the Thirty Years' War, the place suffered serious damage. In 1682 the church tower fell, and the Nörenbergers had no money for the reconstruction, so that only a bell-chair could be erected. Since 1775, the von Gotze and Bornstedt became new lords of the castle.

In the reorganization of administrative areas in 1816 Nörenberg was removed from the Neumark and assigned to the Pomeranian district of Saatzig. Up to the middle of the 19th century the hand and tension services have been maintained. 1858 took place the demolition of the town hall and church, Kirchweihe for the new Gotteshaus was on 21 June 1860.

The main livelihoods of the inhabitants were agriculture and fishing, as well as a number of handicraft businesses in the city. Because of the location of the city, it has been intensified since the end of the XIX century to summer freshness. In 1896 a narrow-gauge railway line of the Saatziger Kleinbahnen was put into operation after Stargard. Near the city a limestone sandstone factory was built on the railway line to Grassee at the beginning of the XX century. The "Neue Kalksandstein- und Cementwarenfabrik GmbH" belonged to a Jewish entrepreneur from Nörenberg until 1933 and was subsequently acquired by the local builder Rietz. In this factory sand-lime bricks were produced using sand, lime and water. There was a separate connecting track for the transport of the sand sands.

During the Second World War, the city was evacuated on 1 March 1945 and taken over the Red Army on the next day. After the occupation by the Soviet troops, a large fire broke out in the tightly built city core, with the city church burnt down and the city was destroyed by 60%. After the end of the war Nörenberg was joined by Polish administration under the new name Ińsko. The damaged buildings were later demolished, so that Ińsko became a place without a city center. The German population was expelled from Nörenberg until 1947 due to the, so-called, "Bierut decree".

Nörenberg

On left side is the Kirche of Nörenberg visible.

The site of the church has been the nord-ost corner of the market square for centuries. In 1652 the tower burned and collapsed. He was not rebuilt, even in the expansion of the church in 1770.

In 1858, the old church was demolished and a new god church was built in its place. On June 21, 1860, it was officially inaugurated by the General Superintendent of Pomerania, Albert Sigismund Jasper. The bells of 1660, hitherto suspended in a separate bell-chair, were now given their place in the tower of the new church.

At the beginning of the XX century, Nörenberg belonged to the protestant church group Jacobshagen (Dobrzany), in the church province Pomerania, of the church of the Old Prussian Union. The last German clergyman of the parishioners, including the branch communities of Alt Storkow (Storkowo) and Kleingrünow (Gronówko), was Rev. Werner Ladwig.

The church was destroyed and completely destroyed after the war. Today, the Catholic Church maintains a new god church dedicated to St. Joseph. The place is again a parishion, now also for the branch communities Ciemnik, Czertyń and Ścienne and is the seat of the dean's office Ińsko in the archbishopric Szczecin-Cammin of the Catholic Church in Poland. Evangelical church members are supervised by the parish in Szczecin.

In Ińsko the Summer Film Festival is held annually.

Nörenberg

Below is depicted a huge cancer on the giant chain and a quote, that refers to a poem by Hugo Hugo Kacker - "The great cancer of Enzigsee" ( "Der große Krebs im Enzigsee").

Quote on the banknote: "In Nörenberg, da waren viel tausend Krebse vor Jahren

die hoben in dem Einzigsee

Vergnügt die Schwänze in die Höh

Die Pest hat all sie weggerafft - der Große wurde fortgeschafft

An einer eisernen Nett am See

Hebt nur allein er den Schwanz in die Höh ".

In English: "In Nёrenberg always been thousands of giant crabs, that lived in Einzigsee, raising their tails up with fun,

But the plague destroyed them all - only one cancer, is very large, survived, chained to a stake with an iron chain, also proudly holding its tail up..."

Though, the legend is as follows:

Far above Norenberg, they were well known, the verses which carried the legend of "Great Cancer" across the world on many postcards or emergency notes. This took place partly as a multi-postural poem (see below), partly in a shortened or even alienated version. Further examples are e.g. On postcards and emergency money notes.

Nörenberg Nörenberg Nörenberg

By the way, the legend is not as old as one would expect. Among the fresh water crises, where Lake Enzig and the many surrounding lakes were very rich, a disease broke out at the end of the 19th century, which the people simply described as a "cancer plague". At that time, due to structural defects, stones were crumbling out of the tower of the town church, the story developed that the "Great Cancer" was the monster who nibbled the stones of the church tower at night, which is why he was simply captured by the Norenbergers A tree stump, which was located at a waterhole, the so-called "Pupkenloch".

Nörenberg Nörenberg

However, when this waterhole gradually dried up and the "great" was taken away, it was "preserved" and placed near the former bleaching spot as a visible sign of the truth content of the legend. This measure can be referred to as a clever marketing idea.

In the 1920s, after the transfer of the bath, it was again the move for the "most famous Nörenberger". For this purpose, the magistrate had arranged a well-kept promenade, along the eastern bank, where one could easily reach the bath establishment as well as the two excursion lounges, the "Parkhaus" and "Waldhalle". Exhibited at the Waldhalle, the "Great Cancer" found his home at that time. (www.ebog.de ger.)

Comments:

Designer: Robert Koch.

Typo in the year of release - 920 instead of 1920!

Notgeld (German for "emergency money" or "necessity money") refers to money issued by an institution in a time of economic or political crisis. The issuing institution is usually one without official sanction from the central government. This occurs usually when sufficient state-produced money is not available from the central bank. Most notably, notgeld generally refers to money produced in Germany and Austria during World War I and the Interbellum. Issuing institutions could be a town's savings banks, municipality and private or state-owned firms.

Notgeld was mainly issued in the form of (paper) banknotes. Sometimes other forms were used, as well: coins, leather, silk, linen, postage stamps, aluminium foil, coal, and porcelain; there are also reports of elemental sulfur being used, as well as all sorts of re-used paper and carton material (e.g. playing cards). These pieces made from playing cards are extremely rare and are known as Spielkarten, the German word for "playing card".

Notgeld was a mutually-accepted means of payment in a particular region or locality, but notes could travel widely. Notgeld is different from occupation money that is issued by an occupying army during a war.