header Notes Collection
Top

10 Schilling 1950, Austria

in Krause book Number: 128
Years of issue: 02.01.1950
Edition: --
Signatures: Generalrat: Alexander Korp, Präsident: Dr. Hans Rizzi, Generaldirektor: Dr. Franz Bartsch
Serie: 1949 - 1954 Issues
Specimen of: 02.01.1950
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 132 х 65
Printer: Oesterreichische Banknoten und Sicherheitsdruck, Wien

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

10 Schilling 1950

Description

Watermark:

Avers:

10 Schilling 1950

In the center is the frame of stylized acanthus leaves.

On the banknote shown - the wing of the Hofburg Palace, the view taken from Michaelerplatz, Vienna. This area was built back in 1725, but only at the end of the XIX century it became the one of iconic places of the city center.

This wing is the Spanish Riding School.

Right from school, at one time, was the theater building. Today, it no longer exists.

On right side is the cadet of Spanish riding school, riding on horseback, executing one of the schools exercise programs.

On the corner of building is the fountain "Die Macht zur See" ("The greatness of the seas").

10 Schilling 1950 10 Schilling 1950 10 Schilling 1950The Spanish Riding School (German: Spanische Hofreitschule) of Vienna, Austria, is a traditional riding school for Lipizzan horses, which perform in the Winter Riding School (Winterreitschule) in the Hofburg. Not only is it a centre for classical dressage, the headquarters is a tourist attraction in Vienna that offers public performances as well as permitting public viewing of some training sessions. The presentation builds on four centuries of experience and tradition in classical dressage. The leading horses and riders of the school also periodically tour and perform worldwide.

The Spanish Riding School is located between Michaelerplatz and Josefsplatz near the Hofburg in central Vienna. Performances take place in the Winter Riding School, built between 1729-1735. The Winter Riding School is a sunlight-flooded hall, mainly white with some beige and light grey, with a portrait of Emperor Charles VI above the royal box and opposite the entrance (to which the riders always salute before they ride), which measures 55 by 18 meters and is 17 meters in height.

The Spanish Riding School also has summer stables in Heldenberg-Wetzdorf, Lower Austria. The 68 resident stallions are taken there in July and August for seven weeks, where they are kept in stalls with paddocks. The horses are not schooled during this period, but instead are hacked in the nearby forest.

The riding school was first named during the Habsburg Monarchy in 1572, long before the French manege of Antoine de Pluvinel, and is the oldest of its kind in the world. Records show that a wooden riding arena was first commissioned in 1565, but it wasn't until 1729 that Emperor Charles VI commissioned the architect Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach to build the white riding hall used today. Prior to that time, the School operated from a wooden arena at the Josefsplatz. For a time, the riding hall was used for various ceremonies, but it is now open to the public, who may witness the training and performances by the stallions.

The Spanish Riding School was named for the Spanish horses that formed one of the bases of the Lipizzan breed, which is used exclusively at the school. Today the horses delivered to the Spanish Riding School are bred at the Piber Federal Stud located near the village of Piber in western Styria, Austria. One of the original studs used to develop the breed was Lipizza, now called Lipica, near Trieste in modern Slovenia, which gave its name to the breed.

10 Schilling 1950The Spanish Riding School has antecedents in military traditions dating as far back as Xenophon in Ancient Greece, and particularly from the military horsemanship of the post-medieval ages when knights attempted to retain their battlefield preeminence by shedding heavy armor and learning to maneuver quickly and with great complexity on a firearms-dominated battlefield.

Traditionally, Lipizzaners at the school have been trained and ridden wholly by men, although the Spanish Riding School states that there has never been an official ban on women. In October 2008, two women, Sojourner Morrell, 18-year-old from the United Kingdom and Hannah Zeitlhofer, 21-year-old from Austria, passed the entrance exam and were accepted to train as riders at the school - the first women to do so in 436 years.

10 Schilling 1950 10 Schilling 1950The fountain "Die Macht zur See" ("The power to sea") on the corner, near the Spanish Riding School.

The figures of fountain made of Laaser marble (heavy duty marble from South Tyrol, Italy). The bowl is made of red granite. It is a composition of gigantic figures and the sea monster, dominated by the female allegory of Austria, standing on the bow of the ship.

Sculptor - Rudolf von Weyr. The fountain was built in 1895.

10 Schilling 1950Hofburg Palace is the former imperial palace in the centre of Vienna, Austria. Part of the palace forms the official residence and workplace of the President of Austria. Built in the 13th century and expanded in the centuries since, the palace has housed some of the most powerful people in European and Austrian history, including monarchs of the Habsburg dynasty, rulers of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. It was the principal imperial winter residence, as Schönbrunn Palace was their summer residence.

The Hofburg area has been the documented seat of government since 1279 for various empires and republics. The Hofburg has been expanded over the centuries to include various residences (with the Amalienburg), the Imperial Chapel (Hofkapelle or Burgkapelle), the Naturhistorisches Museum and Kunsthistorisches Museum, the Austrian National Library (Hofbibliothek), the Imperial Treasury (Schatzkammer), the Burgtheater, the Spanish Riding School (Hofreitschule), the Imperial Horse Stables (Stallburg and Hofstallungen), and the Hofburg Congress Center.

The Hofburg faces the Heldenplatz ordered under the reign of Emperor Francis Joseph, as part of what was to become a Kaiserforum that was never completed.

Numerous architects have executed work at the Hofburg as it expanded, notably the Italian architect-engineer Filiberto Luchese (the Leopoldischiner Trakt), Lodovico Burnacini and Martino and Domenico Carlone, Charles Dickens, the Baroque architects Lukas von Hildebrandt and Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach (the Reichschancelry Wing and the Winter Riding School), Johann Fischer von Erlach (the library), and the architects of the grandiose Neue Burg built between 1881 and 1913.

Denominations in numerals are repeating on background of banknote, in top right corner and on left side. In words centered, on top.

Revers:

10 Schilling 1950

10 Schilling 1950The Belvedere is a historic building complex in Vienna, Austria, consisting of two Baroque palaces (the Upper and Lower Belvedere), the Orangery, and the Palace Stables. The buildings are set in a Baroque park landscape in the third district of the city, on the south-eastern edge of its centre. It houses the Belvedere museum. The grounds are set on a gentle gradient and include decorative tiered fountains and cascades, Baroque sculptures, and majestic wrought iron gates. The Baroque palace complex was built as a summer residence for Prince Eugene of Savoy.

The Belvedere was built during a period of extensive construction in Vienna, which at the time was both the imperial capital and home to the ruling Habsburg dynasty. This period of prosperity followed on from the commander-in-chief Prince Eugene of Savoy's successful conclusion of a series of wars against the Ottoman Empire.

The construction of the Upper Belvedere began as early as 1717, as testified by two letters that Prince Eugene sent from Belgrade to his servant Benedetti in summer 1718, describing the progress of work on the palace. Construction was so far advanced by 2 October 1719 that the prince was able to receive the Turkish ambassador Ibrahim Pasha there. The decoration of the interior started as early as 1718. In 1719 he commissioned the Italian painter Francesco Solimena to execute both the altarpiece for the Palace Chapel and the ceiling fresco in the Golden Room. In the same year Gaetano Fanti was commissioned to execute the illusionistic quadratura painting in the Marble Hall. In 1720 Carlo Carlone was entrusted with the task of painting the ceiling fresco in the Marble Hall, which he executed from 1721-1723.

The building was completed in 1723. The Sala Terrena, however, was at risk of collapsing due to structural problems, and in the winter of 1732-1733 Hildebrandt was forced to install a vaulted ceiling supported by four Atlas pillars, giving the room its current appearance. Salomon Kleiner, an engineer from the Mainz elector's court, produced a ten-part publication between 1731 and 1740 containing a total of ninety plates, entitled "Wunder würdiges Kriegs- und Siegs-Lager deß Unvergleichlichen Heldens Unserer Zeiten Eugenii Francisci Hertzogen zu Savoyen und Piemont" ("Wondrous war and victory encampment of the supreme hero of our age Eugene Francis Duke of Savoy and Piedmont"), which documented in precise detail the state of the Belvedere complex.

10 Schilling 1950 10 Schilling 1950On left side is one of the vases, flanking the staircase, leading to the Lower Belvedere.

10 Schilling 1950 10 Schilling 1950 10 Schilling 1950On right side, presumably, shown stylized sculpture from the facade of Upper Belvedere. Built by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt (1668-1745).

On right and left sides, both sculptures, are framed by leaves and flowers.

Denomination in numeral is on top, centered. In the upper right corner, under the serial number, are the words "Second issue".

Comments:

Designer: Erhard Amadeus-Dier.

Born 1893 in Vienna, died 1969 in Klosterneuburg (Lower Austria).

Painter, graphic artist, designer and composer. Studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna. From 1921 member of the Viennese Künstlerhaus. He was active in the Austrian resistance movement during National Socialism. 1939 to 1942 chief designer of the Porzellan manufaktur Rosenthal in Berlin. Received various national and international awards.

Engraver: Rupert (Ruppert) Franke.

Born 1888 in Vienna, died 1971 in Vienna.

Graphic artist and copper engraver. Pupil of Alfred Cossmann. He was not only active in the banknotes design for the Austrian-Hungarian Bank and the Austrian National Bank but also designed numerous Pengo notes for the Hungarian banknote printing company.