header Notes Collection
Top

20 Mark 1918, Königsberg in Franken, Germany

Hans-Ludwig Grabowski Katalog. Band 10. Number: 285.02.b
Years of issue: 11.1918
Edition: --
Signatures: Unknown signature
Serie: Notgeld
Specimen of: 11.1918
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 132 х 67
Printer: Blasius & Lauer's Nachf. Kgl. Bayr. Hoflieferant, Schweinfurt

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

20 Mark 1918, Königsberg in Franken

Description

Watermark:

wasserzeichenWatermark.

Avers:

20 Mark 1918, Königsberg in Franken

An inscription centered: "20 Mark gives in debt the savings bank of the city to the bearer of this coupon. To be used within six months after the issuance. Königsberg in Franconia, in November 1918."

wappenLower are 2 coat of arms of Königsberg in Franconia (Königsberg in Bayern).

On gold field is, by red reinforced, black lion.

Königsberg came in 1920, as Saxon enclave along with the Duchy of Saxe-Coburg in Bavaria. The place was originally a former Frankish royal court and was a citizen of Bamberg fiefdom owned by the Andechs-Meranier. After several changes of ownership Königsberg in 1400 came to the Landgrave of Thuringia and belonged since to the house of Wettin. It was the seat of a ducal office. The two oldest seal from the early XV and XV centuries show as an indication of the Saxon domination twice each the lion of the Margrave of Meissen and Thuringia. Since the beginning of the XVIII century is in all sealing only the uncrowned lion of Meissen, initially in the shield, later released in seal field. The colors have been known since 1605th.

Along the perimeter are the crosses.

Denomination in numeral is in top left corner, in words and numeral centered.

Revers:

20 Mark 1918, Königsberg in Franken

An inscription on right and left sides: "Nach starkem Wetterschlag scheint doppelt hell die Sonne. Auch ich will helfen mit, dass diese Zeit bald komme".

In English: "After severe weather impact seems doubly bright the sun, also i want to help with that this time may come soon."

Koenigsberg BayernThe view at Königsberg in Bayern (Königsberg in Franconia). On the image, centered, is Marienkirche on Marktplatz (Market square).

Königsberg emerged from under the castle building on the "vineyard of the Kings" in 1180, probably, on the place of a old-fashioned royal domain. It already existed in the early Middle Ages in the suburban area a settlement called Ingelhofen. In 1234 Königsberg was first mentioned, in 1333 it was granted marketing justice and, finally, in 1358 got the full civic rights. The city was given almost sixty times throughout history as a pledge or heritage in other hands. So Königsberg belonged since 1400 to the Wettin duchies. During the Reformation Königsberg in 1523 Lutheran. By this worked with a native of the city Balthasar During, the Martin Luther probably met in the Augustinian monastery of Königsberg. During the Reformation, the Augustinian monastery disbanded, as the noble sisterhood of the Agelblume that had been donated by Cunegonde Steward. Konigsberg was during the Reformation also one of the centers of the central German Anabaptism. Especially Hans Hut and Eukarius binder were active in Königsberg and the surrounding area as a Baptist preacher. In the XVI century Königsberg was of about 2000 inhabitants as a center of the area. After town and castle had come as a result of the Schmalkaldic War and the Grumbach Handel in the possession of Margrave Albrecht Alcibiades of Brandenburg-Kulmbach, Wilhelm von Grumbach, Moritz of Saxony and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Würzburg, they could in 1569 repurchased by Duke Johann Wilhelm of Saxe-Weimar will. So Konigsberg remained for the next centuries owned by the Saxon duchies, namely to 1640 in Saxony-Weimar, followed Saxe-Gotha to 1675, Saxe-Römhild to 1683 and then Saxe-Hildburghausen. With the reorganization of the Ernestine duchies 1826 to the end of the monarchy in 1918, the village belonged to Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. 1858 separation of administrative and judicial capacity was introduced. Königsberg had its own constitution magistrale. In March 1892, the city got the railway Haßfurt-Hofheim a connection to the railway network. After adjustment of the railway traffic, the line was rebuilt. Following a referendum in 1919 the Free State of Coburg was united on 1 July 1920, the Free State of Bavaria. Thus the city of Konigsberg in Franken and the Office Königsberg Bayern came.

In 1632, during the Thirty Years' War, the army of Graf Tilly (8,000 men) were in Königsberg. The city was sacked and from a carelessness was a devastating city fire which destroyed more than half of the houses. The piety Tilly It is thanks to that magnificent Gothic Marienkirche was spared on the marketplace, although the directly adjacent single Rathaus also burned. Tilly had his men instructed to protect the church from the flames. Eight years later were again imperial troops in Koenigsberg. Citizens had brought their possessions in the attic of the church in security. When the soldiers they robbed, they set fire to the roof, so that the church but was still in flames. Other parts of the city fell this second city fire. It took a long time until Königsberg had recovered from the Thirty Years' War. Your former importance not attained the city.

The city fires were the cause of the today so romantic closed timbered old town, an "ensemble of European importance". Since almost all the houses were burnt, is scarcely bourgeois buildings from earlier centuries yet. For showing the old town in all streets a uniform half-timbered picture of the late XVII and XVIII centuries. The commitment of the late former mayor Rudolf Mett it is thanks to them that the old town has been preserved and is a listed building.

Koenigsberg BayernCentered is the Marienkirche (St. Mary's Church) on Marktplatz (Market square).

Built in 1397-1432 High Gothic St. Mary's Church was restored in early XX century under the direction of Coburg architect Leopold Oelenheinz with its original appearance, after it had been destroyed during the great fire of 1640th. It is one of the handsomest hall churches in Franconia and home of the imprint of the Supper reliefs from the Dresdner Cross Church by, born in Königsberg sculptor, Heinrich Epler.

Denominations are in all corners.

Comments:

Notgeld (German for "emergency money" or "necessity money") refers to money issued by an institution in a time of economic or political crisis. The issuing institution is usually one without official sanction from the central government. This occurs usually when sufficient state-produced money is not available from the central bank. Most notably, notgeld generally refers to money produced in Germany and Austria during World War I and the Interbellum. Issuing institutions could be a town's savings banks, municipality and private or state-owned firms.

Notgeld was mainly issued in the form of (paper) banknotes. Sometimes other forms were used, as well: coins, leather, silk, linen, postage stamps, aluminium foil, coal, and porcelain; there are also reports of elemental sulfur being used, as well as all sorts of re-used paper and carton material (e.g. playing cards). These pieces made from playing cards are extremely rare and are known as Spielkarten, the German word for "playing card".

Notgeld was a mutually-accepted means of payment in a particular region or locality, but notes could travel widely. Notgeld is different from occupation money that is issued by an occupying army during a war.