Top
header Notes Collection

100 Marka 1923, Estonia

in Krause book Number: 51a
Years of issue: 23.05.1923
Edition: 4 000 000
Signatures: G. Westel, T. Käärik
Serie: 1923 Issue
Specimen of: 23.05.1923
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 168 x 89
Printer: Riigi Trukikoda, Tallinn

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

100 Marka 1923

Description

Watermark:

Avers:

100 Marka 1923

Bank of Estonia Bank of Estonia

Centered is the vignette with the image of Bank of Estonia building (Eesti Panga hoone) on Estonia pst 13, in Tallinn (Revel in 1923).

Built in the Neo-Gothic style of yellow brick and with a granite socle, the building was completed in 1909 for the local office of the Russian National Bank. It was designed by the Russian architect Aleksander Jaron, following the example of the St. Petersburg Loan Office and a standard design of a national bank building for Russian county towns. The Historicist style prevails throughout the building and combines elements of various styles.

The large hall (previously used for customer transactions) in the Neo-Renaissance style boasts marbleised half columns with Ionic capitals. In the second-floor corridors there are more Neo-Renaissance elements and in the rooms of the first floor wall decorations in the Art Nouveau style.

The Large Hall or the Independence Hall is one of the symbols of independence as the Temporary Government was established here in 24 February 1918. There is a large painting "24 February 1918" by Russian Symbolist Nikolai Kalmakov, done in 1921, which depicts members of the Salvation Committee Konstantin Päts, Jüri Vilms and Konstantin Konik. The ante-room has a display of portraits of Eesti Pank governors Mihkel Punga, Eduard Aule, Artur Uibopuu, Jüri Jaakson, Rein Otsason and Siim Kallas (Enn Põldroos, 1994).

Bank of Estonia Bank of Estonia Bank of Estonia

It was the main building of Eesti Pank until 1935, whilst the Ministry of Finance shared the premises in the 1920s. It has been in the ownership of Eesti Pank since 1992. (www.eestipank.ee).

On right and left sides are the allegorical fruits and flowers, such as: grapes (fertility), roses (hope and new beginnings) and acanthus leaves (immortality).

Denominations in numerals are on the right and left sides, in words - lower, centered.

Revers:

100 Marka 1923

Centered is an inscription: "Riigikassatäht on Eesti Vabariigi piirides seaduslik maksuabinou" - "Banknotes of the Treasury of the Republic of Estonia are issued within the limits of legitimate tax measures."

On right and left sides are stylized acanthus leaves.

Denomination in numerals and words are on right and left sides, in words - under the inscription.

Comments:

Withdrawn from circulation: 01.01.1939

Banknote paper is made in Tervakoski, Finland.

The Finnish mill was founded in 1818. Housing five paper machines, this mill produces an annual capacity of over 100,000 tons of customized papers. In addition to thinprint papers, it also produce paper for tobacco-related products, release base paper, electrical insulation paper.

Designers: H. Grinbergs, K. Doll, George Vestenberg.