Top
header Notes Collection

5 Mark 1975, East Germany

in Krause book Number: 27а
Years of issue: 1975
Edition: --
Signatures: no signature
Serie: Staatsbank der DDR
Specimen of: 1971
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 113 х 50
Printer: VEB Wertpapierdruckerei der DDR, Leipzig

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

5 Mark 1975

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Thomas Müntzer.

Avers:

5 Mark 1975

Thomas Müntzer

The engraving on banknote is made, presumably, after this wood carved and hand painted image of Thomas Müntzer, made approx. in 1600 by Dutch Golden Age woodcutter and engraver Christoffel van Sichem (1581-1658).

He was the National Hero of GDR.

Thomas Müntzer (ca. 1489 – 27 May 1525) was a German preacher and theologian of the early Reformation whose opposition to both Luther and the established Catholic church led to his open defiance of late-feudal authority in central Germany. Müntzer was foremost amongst those reformers who took issue with Luther’s compromises with feudal authority. He became a leader of the German peasant and plebeian uprising of 1525, was captured after the battle of Frankenhausen, and was tortured and executed.

Few other figures of the German Reformation have raised so much controversy, which continues to this day, as Müntzer. A complex and unique figure in history, he is now regarded as a significant player in the early years of the German Reformation and also in the history of European revolutionaries. Almost all modern studies of Müntzer stress the necessity of understanding his revolutionary actions as a consequence of his theology: Müntzer believed that the end of the world was imminent and that it was the task of the true believers to aid God in ushering in a new era of history. Within the history of the Reformation, his contribution – especially in liturgy and Biblical exegesis – was of substance, but remains undervalued.

Coat of arms DDR

The coat of arms of GDR is on top, more to left side.

The national emblem of the German Democratic Republic featured a hammer and a compass, surrounded by a ring of rye. It was an example of what has been called "socialist heraldry".

The hammer represented the workers in the factories. The compass represented the intelligentsia, and the ring of rye the farmers. The first designs included only the hammer and ring of rye, as an expression of the GDR as a communist "Workers' and Farmers' state" ("Arbeiter- und Bauernstaat"). Surrounded by a wreath, the national emblem also acted as the emblem for the East German National People's Army, and when surrounded by a twelve pointed white star, for the People's Police.

When the federated states in East Germany were abolished and replaced by Bezirke, making the GDR into a unitary state, the national emblem came to be used by the regions too. The East Berlin government did not want regional symbols to be used, since they could stir up regional patriotism and movements for independence.

The emblem was adopted as the GDR's national emblem by a law of 26 September 1955, and added to the national flag by a law of 1 October 1959.

The display of the national emblem was for some years regarded as unconstitutional in West Germany and West Berlin and was prevented by the police. Only in 1969 did the West German government of Willy Brandt reverse this policy in what was known as "Ostpolitik".

Denominations in numerals are in lower corners, in words centered.

Revers:

5 Mark 1975

Ernte

The truck W50L (IFA W50) with trailer and the harvesters Fortschritt E512 are on field by grain harvest.

Fortschritt E512 Fortschritt E512

The combine Fortschritt E 512 is a self-propelled harvester for harvesting and threshing of cereals, oilseeds and pulses.

It was redeveloped in the early 1960s by the former "VEB Kombinat Fortschritt Landmaschinen" in Neustadt, in Saxony, from the model E510 (a slight improvement of the predecessor series E175). The aim was an increase in throughput of 5 kg/s. during threshing wheat.

Dating back to demands of the VIII. Bauer Congress in 1964 to build a powerful, modern and metropolitan area economy relevant harvesters, the E512 was in 1968 presented to the public at Leipziger Messe. It was one of the most powerful combine harvester in the Eastern Bloc. In the GDR, this series was one of the machines of the performance class 1, with a yield of up to 4.5 t/ha.

Fortschritt E512

With facelift this type was officially until 1983, but, in fact, built to 1988. This was due to the relatively high share of exports to Arab countries, which preferred a wagon variant of bunkers/sagging means and, an additional straw collectors. The successor is the E514, which took many design features of its predecessor and has improved only in details and the optics.

The 4-cylinder diesel engine 4 VD 14,5 / 12-1 SRW was shoring cc with 105 hp and 6560th Reapers were from widths of 3.60 m. to 5.70 m. From 1969 could be delivered to the combine a cabin.

IFA W50 IFA W50

(IFA) W50L- the truck, produced in GDR for 25 years, total 571 800 copies were made.

The correct name of this machine W50L (colloquial. "Ellie"), as the IFA is an abbreviation of the Industrial Association of the GDR automakers, rather than the name of the plant, as many believe. This association includes almost all automotive plants on the territory of the GDR. Plants producing trucks data is located in Ludwigsfelde, hence the letter L in the model index. Letter W is Werdau city where the truck was designed 50 - load in centners (50 quintals or 5,000 kilograms, ie 5 tons). Truck was originally equipped with a 4-cylinder diesel engine vihrekamernym capacity of 110 hp from the previous model S4000-1, then in 1967 an improved version of its four-cylinder in-line diesel engine with direct injection of fuel under license from West German firms M.A.N capacity of 125 liters. from. at 2300 rev / min. There were about 60 different versions of this truck (military, fire, building and other special-purpose vehicles). We had two options W50L base: short 3200 mm in length. and long - 3700 mm. respectively.

IFA W50

Some versions have four-wheel drive, which increases its permeability. Modification with 4x2 drive did not have power steering. Crane on W50L base was permissible load capacity of 10 tons. In the embodiment train permissible load on the saddle was 16 tons. In the former GDR this machine was the basis for the park fire trucks. In 1984, the truck version to run on compressed natural gas was produced.

IFA W50This truck is widely used not only in East Germany, but also in all countries of the former Soviet bloc, as well as in the countries of Asia, Africa and South America. One of the main buyers of cars of this model was the Soviet Union, where the car is often referred to as "Ellie". In the USSR, this brand cars were delivered between 1971 and 1988, mainly from a body board and construction tippers on 3 sides and the same trailer. In addition, after various exhibitions GDR production technology in the USSR, were exhibits of specialized vehicles on truck chassis data.

Despite its relatively high specifications to the top of the 80 truck has significantly outdated. The company worked on the replacement of obsolete models, but on prototypes it is not moved. Only at the end of the GDR, in 1987, it was introduced a more powerful version of the L60, but, in fact, it was the same truck, but with a larger capacity and a more powerful diesel engine. With the unification of the two Germanys in a single state and the collapse of the socialist camp as a major buyer, the production of obsolete products have lost relevance. In 1990, the plant in Ludwigsfeld returned to its once former owner, the concern "Daimler-Benz". For some time the new owners tried to upgrade the plant produced models L60, setting it on the cab of the truck the family of "Mercedes-Benz" LN2, but by the mid-90s, the company has completely passed on the issue of its own group of products.

The inscription on top: "Wer Banknoten nachmacht oder verfälscht oder nachgemachte oder verfälschte sich verschafft und in Verkehr bringt, wird bestraft".

In English: "Who imitates banknotes or falsified or forged or falsified procures and markets it, will be punished."

On left side, again, is the coat of arms of GDR.

Denominations in numerals are in lower corners, in words at bottom, centered.

Comments:

The State Bank of the GDR (German: Staatsbank der DDR) was the central bank of East Germany. It was established on 1 January 1968 from the Deutsche Notenbank and took over the majority of the same tasks.

The State Bank of the GDR was responsible for the administration of the internal account settlement and banking system, the issue of money and control of money circulation within the GDR, administration of the exchange control regulations and settlement of foreign currency accounts with overseas companies and governments (Zahlungsverkehr by transfer). In addition, the bank bought and sold financial securities and administered the purchase, sale and holding of precious metals for foreign exchange purposes.

The state bank was also responsible for the account processing of the state institutions and state enterprises, (Volkseigener Betrieb), having at least one main branch in each of the 15 administrative subdivisions of the German Democratic Republic.