header Notes Collection
Top

1 Dollar 1953, British Caribbean Territories

in Krause book Number: 7a
Years of issue: 05.01.1953
Edition: 3 550 000
Signatures: Member: Mr. Edwin Frank McDavid, Chairman: Mr. Ronald Ward Robertson, Member: Mr. Edmond Spencer Stanley Burrowes
Serie: 1953 Issue
Specimen of: 05.01.1953
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 150 х 82
Printer: Bradbury, Wilkinson & Company Limited, New Malden

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

1 Dollar 1953

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Sailing ship.

Avers:

1 Dollar 1953

Photo by Dorothy Wilding, 26 February 1952, HM The Queen Elizabeth II

HM The Queen Elizabeth II.

The first official photographic sitting with the new Queen was granted to the society photographer Dorothy Wilding. It took place on 26 February 1952, just twenty days after the accession. A total of fifty-nine photographs were taken by Wilding, showing The Queen dressed in a variety of gowns designed by Norman Hartnell and wearing jewellery including the Diamond Diadem. The photographs taken during this sitting were the basis of The Queen’s image on postage stamps from 1953 until 1971, as well as providing the official portrait of The Queen which was sent to every British embassy throughout the world. (Royal collection trust)

Diadem

The Queen is wearing the George IV State Diadem. Made by Rundell, Bridge & Rundell (and likely designed by their designer, Philip Liebart) in 1820, the diadem features a set of 4 crosses pattée alternating with 4 bouquets of roses, thistles, and shamrocks. The motifs are set on a band of diamond scrollwork between two bands of pearls. Queen Alexandra had the diadem made smaller in 1902, reducing the top band of pearls from 86 to 81, and the bottom band from 94 to 88. The front cross is set with a 4 carat yellow diamond, and the piece features 1,333 diamonds in all. (Sartorial Splendor)

Necklace present from Nizam of Hyderabad and Berar

The necklace worn by The Queen, of diamond flowers and leaves, was a wedding present from Nizam of Hyderabad and Berar. The necklace was originally crafted in 1930s by Cartier. It was a wedding gift to Queen Elizabeth II, who was still a princess, on her wedding to Prince Philip from the Last Nizam of Hyderabad, Mir Osman Ali Khan in 1947. The Nizam of Hyderabad asked the Queen to choose two pieces from Cartier to mark her wedding, and she chose a tiara and a matching necklace based on an English rose.

The necklace was made by Cartier with 38 diamonds, with a diamond-encrusted snap. It has a detachable double-drop pendant, made of 13 emerald-cut diamonds and a pear-shaped drop, forms the pave-set center of the necklace. The design was based on English roses.

Pair of pearl drop earrings, circa 1947

Pair of pearl drop earrings, made circa 1947.

The pearls used to create these earrings were a wedding present to Princess Elizabeth in 1947 from the Sheikh of Bahrain. The diamonds used in the earrings use a variety of modern cuts. (A Royal Wedding 1947)

This variety of the portrait is distinguished by the heavy shading on Her Majesty's right cheek and the tilt of the head. (Peter Symes)

In bottom left corner is the map of British Caribbean territories, on parchment.

Denominations in numerals are in all corners. In words in top center.

Revers:

1 Dollar 1953

In the corners the coats of arms of the British Caribbean territories, such as Leeward islands, Windward Islands, British Guiana, Trinidad and Tobago.

coat of arms of Leeward islands

Top left - the coat of arms of Leeward islands.

The Badge of the British Leeward Islands was adopted in the 1870s.

The Royal arms on the top of the badge was a non-classical design.

A coat of arms consisting of five badges were adopted in 1909. The five badge represent the five "province" of the Leeward Islands: Antigua and Barbuda on top left, Dominica on top right, Montserrat on bottom left, British Virgin Islands on bottom right. On the centre, were two badge joined together represented Christopher-Nevis-Anguilla. On the left is Saint Christopher and on the right is Nevis, which Anguilla is missing, but can found in the flag. A pineapple in the crown above.

arms of British Guiana

Bottom left - colonial badge of British Guiana.

Initially the royal British achievement was used in British Guyana. This was sculptured for example in the tympanon of the Parliament’s House in Georgetown, built between 1829 and 1834. It was soon completed by arms inspired by the seal of the WIC. These showed a sailing vessel, sailing to the sinister. Below is the motto DAMUS PETIMUS QUE VICISSIM (We Give and Demand Reciprocal). In 1851 it was printed on 1 cent stamps. For a short time the arms and the motto were separated but about 1853 a strap bearing the motto, was added around the arms. In this form the achievement of British Guyana remained in use until 1954. The seal, circular, showed the same device. This was also, as a badge, on the blue ensign from about 1875.

In 1906 the badge was made identical to the arms.

On the 8th of December 1954 a coat of arms was granted to the colony which showed a Blackwell-frigate in full sail sailing to the sinister on waves of the sea, all proper. The motto, unchanged, was written on a ribbon placed under the shield.

Blackwall frigate was the colloquial name for a type of three-masted full-rigged ship built between the late 1830s and the mid-1870s.

They were originally intended as replacements for the British East Indiaman in the trade between England, the Cape of Good Hope, India and China, but from the 1850s were also employed in the trade between England, Australia and New Zealand.

The first Blackwall frigates were designed and built by Wigram and Green at Blackwall Yard on the River Thames. Under different owners these yards had built East Indiamen since the early 17th century as well as warships for the Royal Navy.

coloial badge of Barbados

Top center - colonial badge of Barbados.

In the XIX century, about 1880, a badge was designed for the colony. This was based on the first as well as on the second seal in that the ruler in the seahorse-drawn car became a crowned queen with orb and trident, forcibly representing Queen Victoria.

In the course of time the image changed. More precisely, the crowned person with a trident represented as current monarch. This option is the last option of colonial emblem, where the image is adapted to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

coat of arms of Windward islands

Top right - coat of arms of Windward islands.

The Badge of British Windward Islands were adopted in 1884/85.

Originally, each quarter of the shield was to have had an emblem representing one of the four islands. This intention would have been spoilt when Barbados was detached in 1885, leaving only three islands. There was in any case no obvious emblem for any of the islands, and the problem of what to put in the fourth quarter probably led to the decision to have a shield quartered with just four plain colours.

The Windward Islands' badge is described in Carr (1961), page 107. It was a shield quartered plain red, yellow, green and black surrounded by a crowned garter bearing the words "GOVERNOR-IN-CHIEF" along the top, and "WINDWARD ISLANDS" along the bottom either side of the buckle. Underneath is a scroll bearing the motto "I PEDE FAUSTO" ("Go with a lucky foot"). The four colonies that made up the Windward Islands, Grenada and the Grenadines, St Vincent, St Lucia and Dominica, each had their own badges.

According to my 1945 Whitaker's Almanac, the Windward Islands were four separate colonies under a single Governor, each island having its own Administrator, Legislative Council and treasury. That is the Windward Islands badge, was probably, a personal badge of the Governor-in-Chief and only appeared on personal flag.

colonial badge of Trinidad and Tobago

Bottom right - colonial badge of Trinidad and Tobago.

The badge of the crown-colony consisted of a picture of Port of Spain and mount El Tucouche (936 m.) with a frigate with the white ensign and a boat before the jetty. In base is the motto MISCERIQUE PROBAT POPULOS ET FOEDERA JUNGI, designed by Sir Ralph Abercromby (1734-1801), who took Trinidad from the Spanish crown in 1797. It is a verse from Virgil (Publius Vergilius Maro, 70-19 B.C.) who wrote in his “Aeneid” Book IV, line 112: ‘Miscerive probet populos, aut foedera iungi ’(He approved of the mingling of peoples and their being joined together by treaties).

It was adopted for the blue ensign of Trinidad in 1880 and was maintained for the Colony of Trinidad and Tobago in 1889.

Placed on a shield the badge of Trinidad was adopted by Royal Warrant of the 13th of October 1958 as the first coat of arms of the colony.

Denominations in numerals are right and left. In words in top center.

Comments: