header Notes Collection

10 Schilling 1927, Austria

in Krause book Number: 94
Years of issue: 03.01.1927
Edition: --
Signatures: Generalrat: Adolf Popper-Artberg, Präsident: Richard Reisch, Generaldirektor: Dr. Viktor Brauneis
Serie: 1927 - 1930 Issue
Specimen of: 1927
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 120 х 70
Printer: Oesterreichische Banknoten und Sicherheitsdruck, Wien

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

10 Schilling 1927




10 Schilling 1927

Vertical image.


In top left corner is the coat of arms of Austria.

The current coat of arms of Austria, albeit without the broken chains, has been in use by the Republic of Austria since 1919. Between 1934 and the German annexation in 1938 Austria used a different coat of arms, which consisted of a double-headed eagle. The establishment of the Second Republic in 1945 saw the return of the original (First Republic) arms, with broken chains added to symbolize Austria's liberation.

The blazon of the Federal Arms of the Republic of Austria reads:

Gules a fess Argent, escutcheon on the breast of an eagle displayed Sable, langued Gules, beaked Or, crowned with a mural crown of three visible merlons Or, armed Or, dexter talon holding sickle, sinister talon holding hammer, both talons shackled with chain broken Argent.

The symbols and emblems used in the Austrian arms are as follows:

The Eagle: Austria's sovereignty (introduced 1919)

The escutcheon Emblem of Austria (late Middle Ages, reintroduced 1915)

The mural crown: The middle class (introduced 1919)

The sickle: Agriculture (introduced 1919)

The Hammer: Industry (introduced 1919)

The broken chains: Liberation from National Socialist dictatorship (added 1945).

In the center is depicted a young god Mercury. In his hands are the lightning and the caduceus.

Against the background of banknotes is floral design.

Mercury is a major Roman god, being one of the Dii Consentes within the ancient Roman pantheon. He is the patron god of financial gain, commerce, eloquence (and thus poetry), messages/communication (including divination), travelers, boundaries, luck, trickery and thieves; he is also the guide of souls to the underworld. He was considered the son of Maia and Jupiter in Roman mythology. His name is possibly related to the Latin word merx ("merchandise"; compare merchant, commerce, etc.), mercari (to trade), and merces (wages); another possible connection is the Proto-Indo-European root merĝ- for "boundary, border" (cf. Old English "mearc", Old Norse "mark" and Latin "margō") and Greek οὖρος (by analogy of Arctūrus/Ἀρκτοῦρος), as the "keeper of boundaries," referring to his role as bridge between the upper and lower worlds. In his earliest forms, he appears to have been related to the Etruscan deity Turms; both gods share characteristics with the Greek god Hermes. He is often depicted holding the caduceus in his left hand.

Denominations in numeral in in top right corner, in words at bottom.


10 Schilling 1927

Vertical image.

Against the background of banknotes is floral design.

DürnsteinCentered is depicted a young girl - an allegory of Harvest (Ernte).

On her head are interweaving different cultures, such as: grapes (a symbol of fertility), ears of wheat, grass and flowers.

DürnsteinOverlooking on Dürnstein is lower, on right side.

Dürnstein is a small town on the Danube river in the Krems-Land district, in the Austrian state of Lower Austria. It is one of the most visited tourist destinations in the Wachau region and also a well-known wine growing area. The municipality consists of the Katastralgemeinden Dürnstein, Oberloiben and Unterloiben.

The town gained its name from the medieval castle, Burgruine Dürnstein, which overlooked it. The castle was called "Duerrstein" or "Dürrstein", from the German duerr/dürr meaning "dry" and Stein, "stone". The castle was dry because it was situated on a rocky hill, high above the damp conditions of the Danube at the base of the hill, and it was built of stone.

Dürnstein was first mentioned in 1192, when, in the castle above the town, King Richard I of England was held captive by Leopold V, Duke of Austria after their dispute during the Third Crusade. Richard the Lionheart had personally offended Leopold the Virtuous by casting down his standard from the walls at the Battle of Acre, and the duke suspected that King Richard ordered the murder of his cousin Conrad of Montferrat in Jerusalem. In consequence Pope Celestine III excommunicated Leopold for capturing a fellow crusader. The duke finally gave the custody of the king to Emperor Henry VI, who imprisoned Richard at Trifels Castle. Dürnstein Castle was almost completely destroyed by the troops of the Swedish Empire under Field Marshal Lennart Torstenson in 1645.

Dürnstein Abbey (Stift Dürnstein) was established in 1410 by Canons Regular from Třeboň and from 1710 rebuilt in a Baroque style according to plans by Joseph Munggenast, Jakob Prandtauer and Matthias Steinl. The monastery was dissolved by order of Emperor Joseph II in 1788 and fell to the Herzogenburg Priory.

During the War of the Third Coalition the Battle of Dürenstein was fought nearby on November 11, 1805.

Dürnstein DürnsteinIn the foreground is seen Augustinian monastery.

The monastery was founded in 1410, until the end of the XVIII century was reconstructed several times. Here is the church of Marie-Himmelfart the picturesque tower of blue and white stone - one of the jewels of the Austrian Baroque and symbol of the city. Construction of the church was completed in 1725.

300 years after the founding of the monastery, in 1710, Hieronymus Übelbacher was elected as its rector. The building was in poor condition, and so he decided to rebuild it in the Baroque style. Interior and exterior design are the works of architects and builders Joseph Munggenast, Jakob Prandtauer and Matthias Steinl. When Durnstein acquired a Baroque appearance, the religion, science and culture were like linked together. The most striking is a blue-white tower of the collegiate church, which was restored to its original color.

The tower is covered with precious reliefs of Christ's suffering. On its crown is the famous Cross: in this sign Christ has conquered death and suffering. Under cross are evangelicals, as his executors. Four of the obelisk in the tower provide a balanced picture of the Apostles. Immediately there are witnesses of Christ, witnesses of his life, suffering and resurrection.

Denominations in numerals are on top and across all field of banknote (small).


Designer: Berthold Löffler.

Born in 1874 in Nieder-Rosenthal, died 1960 in Vienna.

Painter, graphic artist and craftsman. Students of Koloman Moser. Founded in 1906 with Michael Powolny the "Viennese Ceramics". Created a number of graphic works, including next banknotes also postcards, stamps, posters and book illustrations.