header Notes Collection
Top

50 Pfennig 1918, Insterburg, Germany

no number in katalog -
Years of issue: 28.10.1918
Edition: -
Signatures: Oberbürgermeister von Insterburg: Herr Gustav Kirchhoff,
Serie: Notgeld of East Prussia (today Russia)
Specimen of: 1918
Material: Paper
Size (mm): 104 х 65
Printer: Unknown printer

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

50 Pfennig 1918, Insterburg

Description

Watermark:

watermark

St. Andrew's cross (Andreaskreuz).

watermarkSt. Andrew's cross (Andreaskreuz).

Avers:

50 Pfennig 1918, Insterburg

Text on banknote:

Top - "banknote = Talon of cash substitution, number 93220, in the amount of 50 Pfennig.

Supported by finances of community of Insterburg city.

Regarding the adoption for the nominal value, see the reverse side of the coupon.

Insterburg, Oct. 28, 1918. Magistrate (City Hall)".

Insterburg InsterburgThe coat of arms of Insterburg.

During the preparation of the city's rights around Insterburg stretched virgin forests. They often encountered bears, moose and deer. The right to hunt has only the owner of the land.

Passion for hunting in such a rich region fascinated and Margrave George Frederick. He often spent time in hunting areas Insterburg and the fortress. When Georg Friedrich finally gave to Insterburg official city rights (10 October 1583), he expressed his love for hunting that immortalized the hunter and bear the image of the emblem of the city.

In the charter is written so - "We want to give the city Insterburg own seal, which should be used to assure the necessary documents ..".

Namely: white board, bottom - green mountain, her black bear stands on all four limbs, and on both sides of the shield are two letters G F - Georg Friedrich initials. Top shield figure (presumably himself Georg Friedrich), depicting a hunter, who holds in his hands the horn. Background painted to match the natural (green) color. Around the Hunter is a semicircular inscription, in Latin:"Sigill Civitatis Insterburgensis" (The seal of Insterburg city). (Черняховск .rus)

On the right and left of the coat of arms is an inscription: "The coat of arms granted at October 15, 1583 by Georg Friedrich, Margrave of Brandenburg."

InsterburgGeorge Frederick of Brandenburg-Ansbach (German: Georg Friedrich der Ältere; 5 April 1539 – 25 April 1603) was Margrave of Ansbach and Bayreuth, as well as Regent of Prussia. He was the son of George, Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach and a member of the House of Hohenzollern. He married firstly, in 1559, Elisabeth of Brandenburg-Küstrin (29 August 1540 – 8 March 1578). He married secondly, in 1579, Sophie of Brunswick-Lüneburg (30 October 1563 – 1639), daughter of William of Brunswick-Lüneburg and Dorothea of Denmark.

George Frederick reigned in his native Ansbach, Franconia and Jägerndorf, Upper Silesia since 1556 and, after the death of his cousin Albert Alcibiades in 1557, also in Kulmbach. He took over the administration of the Duchy of Prussia in 1577, when the then-reigning Duke Albert Frederick became ill.

He was the last of the older Franconia line of the House of Hohenzollern. Upon his death Ansbach and Kulmbach were inherited by younger princes of the Brandenburg line according to the House Treaty of Gera of 1598.

George Frederick rebuilt the palace and fortress Plassenburg, which was destroyed after the second margravian war (1552–1554), as one of the most impressive residences of the renaissance in the German empire. He also built the fortress Wülzburg and the old palace in Bayreuth.

During his reign between 1557 and 1603 in the Franconian territories of the Hohenzollern (Brandenburg-Ansbach and Brandenburg-Kulmbach) he kept peace, rebuilt cities and Castles, founded several schools and a University.

Denominations in numerals are on right and left sides. In words centered.

Revers:

50 Pfennig 1918, Insterburg

Text on banknote:

Top - "This voucher is valid, at the latest, before 1 January 1920.

It can also be redeemed before that date, for a limited period of up to two weeks from the date of announcement in the local papers, alone or together with other bills. In this case, it loses its value on the date of expiry, indicated in the newspapers.

For forgery, possession and trafficking of counterfeit coupons the offender will be concluded in a house of correction for a period not less than two years".

Denominations in numerals are on right and left sides.

Comments:

Chernyakhovsk (Russian: Черняхо́вск); prior to 1946 known by its German name About this sound Insterburg (Lithuanian: Įsrutis; Polish: Wystruć) is a town and the administrative center of Chernyakhovsky District in Kaliningrad Oblast, Russia, located at the confluence of the Instruch and Angrapa Rivers, forming the Pregolya.#

It was founded in 1336, after the Prussian Crusade, when the Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights Dietrich von Altenburg built a castle called Instierburg at the site of a former Old Prussian fortification. During their campaign against the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, the place was devastated in 1376 and again by Polish troops in 1457. The castle had been rebuilt as the seat of a Procurator and a settlement grew up to serve it, also called Insterburg.

When Albert of Brandenburg-Ansbach in 1525 secularized the monastic State of the Teutonic Order, Insterburg became part of the Duchy of Prussia and was granted town privileges on October 10, 1583 by the Prussian regent Margrave George Frederick.[citation needed] The town became part of the Kingdom of Prussia in 1701. Because the area had been depopulated by plague in the early 18th century, King Frederick William I of Prussia invited Protestant refugees who had been expelled from the Archbishopric of Salzburg to settle in Insterburg in 1732.

In 1818, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became the seat of Insterburg District within the Gumbinnen Region. Michael Andreas Barclay de Tolly died at Insterburg in 1818 on his way from his Livonian manor to Germany, where he wanted to renew his health.

In 1863, a Polish secret organization was founded and operated in Insterburg. It was involved in arms trafficking to the Russian Partition of Poland during the January Uprising. Since May 1864 its leader was Józef Racewicz.

Insterburg became a part of the German Empire during the 1871 unification of Germany. On May 1, 1901, it became an independent city separate from Insterburg District. After World War I, the town was separated from the rest of Weimar Germany, as the province of East Prussia had become an exclave. The association football club Yorck Boyen Insterburg was formed in 1921.

During World War II, Insterburg was heavily bombed by the British Royal Air Force on July 27, 1944. The town was stormed by Red Army troops on January 21-22, 1945. As part of the northern part of East Prussia, Insterburg was transferred from Germany to the Soviet Union after the war as previously agreed between the victorious powers at the Potsdam Conference. The German population was either evacuated or expelled and replaced with Russians. In 1946, Insterburg was renamed Chernyakhovsk in honor of the Soviet World War II General of the Army Ivan Chernyakhovsky, who commanded the army that first entered East Prussia in 1944.

After 1989, a group of people introduced the Akhal-Teke horse breed to the area and opened an Akhal-Teke breeding stable.