header Notes Collection
Top

25 Para 1921, Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes

in Krause book Number: 13
Years of issue: 14.06.1921
Edition: 199 127 376
Signatures: Министар Финансиjа: Др. Коста Кумануди
Serie: 1921 Issue
Specimen of: 21.03.1921
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 92 х 62
Printer: Drzavna Tiskara, Skalinska 2a, Zagreb, Croatia and Zavod za izradu novčanica (ZIN), Novi Sad, Serbia

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

25 Para 1921

Description

Watermark:

Avers:

25 Para 1921

The entire surface of the paper on the face and reverse of the banknote is covered with various ornaments in pale colors - on the obverse of the greenish-gray color, and the reverse in "only" color. These ornaments are clearly visible on the edges of the face and surface, and on the obverse can be seen, in the pale color and drawings, two young female heads.

akant

On left and right sides are acanthus leaves.

The acanthus is one of the most common plant forms to make foliage ornament and decoration.

The decoration is made by analogy with the herbaceous plant of acanthus acanthus family, native to the Mediterranean. The shape of its leaves, with a few sharp edges, resembling a bear's paw, was the basis for the drawing.

Acanthus often represents life and immortality.

Манастир Грачаница Манастир Грачаница

At the front of the banknote are, by way of the ornaments, the rectangle size 79x51 mm, in dark blue is the drawing of Gracanica Monastery and fields with face value, while the text in lighter blue.

Gračanica (Serbian: Манастир Грачаница, Manastir Gračanica or Albanian Manastiri i Graçanicës) is a Serbian Orthodox monastery located in Kosovo.

The Gračanica Monastery is one of King Milutin's last monumental endowments. It is situated in the municipality of Gračanica, part of the Community of Serb municipalities in Kosovo. It is located 5 km. (3.1 mi.) from Pristina. The monastery is in the close vicinity of Lipljan (ancient Roman town of Ulpiana), the old residence of bishops.

Gračanica was constructed on the ruins of an older XIII century church of the Holy Virgin, which was built on the ruins of a VI century early Christian three naved basilica. On the southern wall of the chapel is written the king's charter, including the following words: "I have seen the ruins and the decay of the Holy Virgin's temple of Gračanica, the bishopric of Lipljan, so I have built it from the ground and painted and decorated it both from inside and outside". Of the former monastic compound, only the church has survived. The narthex and the tower were added a few decades later, in order to protect the frescoes on the west facade. The narthex was heavily damaged by the Turks several times between 1379-1383, when the tower was burned and the fire devoured a rich collection of manuscripts and other precious objects. The narthex was reconstructed in 1383. Again, Gračanica suffered damages at the time of the Battle of Kosovo (1389).

During Ottoman rule Gračanica became an important cultural center. In the time of Metropolitan Nikanor (1528-1555) several icons were painted on the altarpiece. Also, because of the printing press, Nikanor obtained numerous service books and objects for the monastic use. The royal doors were commissioned in 1564 by Metropolitan Dionisije, whose death is represented on a fresco in the narthex. Major restoration took place through efforts of Patriarch Makarije Sokolović. All the openings on the external narthex were walled up and new frescoes were completed in 1570. Thanks to Patriarch Pajsije, the church got its leaden roofing, and in 1620 the large cross with the Crucifix was made on the iconostasis. The monastery was exposed to new damages toward the end of the XVII century, in the war between Holy League and the Turks, after the second siege of Vienna - in which the Serbs took part on the Christian side. Turks removed the leaden cross and pulled out the floor tiles, together with the treasure hidden in the church by Patriarch Arsenije III.

After the Second World War it was renewed by nuns and has been serving as a convent since. Today there are 24 sisters in the monastery who are active in icon painting, agriculture, sewing and other monastic obediences.

After the Kosovo war of 1999 Bishop of Raška and Prizren Artemije transferred his official seat to this Monastery from Prizren and since then the monastery has become not only the most important spiritual but also the national and political center of the Serbian people in Kosovo.

Gračanica represents the culmination of the Serbian medieval art of building in the Byzantine tradition. The church has the form of a double inscribed cross, one inside the other, the inner one providing for a vertical silhouette so as to raise the central dome upwards on a graded elaboration of masses. The dome rests on four free standing pillars. Above the spaces between the cross shafts, four smaller domes give a regular structure to the whole crowning complex. Three three-sided apses (the central one being the largest) put a mild distinction on the altar space externally. The diaconicon and the prosthesis are separated by full walls. Between the nave and the narthex there are wide, heavy pillars and the catholicon is on a level higher. The church was built in alternate courses of brick and stone. At the end of the XIV century an exonarthex was added with double arcades, but these were blinded in the XVI century.

Above the monastery is the text: "MINISTRY OF FINANCE Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes" in Serbian, Croatian and Slovenian languages.

Denominations in numerals are in all corners.

Revers:

25 Para 1921

On yellow-brown background are, again, acanthus leaves.

In the the rectangle size 80x51 mm. are:

on left side - Church of Mary the Queen on Bled Island, Slovenia.

on right side - Equestrian of Ban Josip Jelačić at the Ban Jelačić Square in Zagreb, Croatia.

Bled lake church Bled lake church Bled lake church

The Church of Mary the Queen, also known as the Pilgrimage Church of the Assumption of Mary, or Our Lady of the Lake, is located on a small island in Lake Bled, known as Blejski Otok, in the picturesque Julian Alps of northwestern Slovenia. It has such a beautiful setting that photographs of it are regularly found in travel magazines and it is surely the most recognizable place in Slovenia. Bled was the summer residence of Marshal Tito, back when Yugoslavia was a country and Slovenia was just a province, along with the other Yugoslavian provinces of Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia (and Serbia's autonomous provinces of Kosovo and Vojvodina).

The usual way to reach the island is by pletna, a large gondola-like row boat with a canopy. The rower typically waits for about 10 people before leaving for the island and gives you about 30 minutes on the island. Another option, the one we chose, was to rent a rowboat. It is about half the price for two people and you get the pleasure of meandering back and forth through the lake while you learn how to row the boat and also watching your companion gets splashed by in-artfully placed paddle strokes.

There has been a church on the island since the X century (which replaced a temple to the Slavic goddess Ziva), but the present building was completed in 1698. It has two sections of wood pews, a chandelier over the main aisle, and an altar of wood, carved and gilded, dating from 1747. The central altarpiece is of the Virgin Mary, seated, with the donor of the Bled estate, Henry II, and his wife, Kunigunda, at her side. There is also a lectern on the left side, three side altars (consecrated to St. Sebastian, St. Magdalena and St. Anna) made at the end of the XVII century, and most important, a rope in front of the altar attached to a bell, known as the "wishing bell." The bell tower was built in the XV century, but has been renovated several times due to earthquakes and a lightning strike in 1688. It currently has three bells. The Provost's house and a smaller building behind the church were used as guesthouses. The church was originally Catholic. Property in Slovenia was nationalized between 1945 and 1963. In 1991, a Denationalization Act allowed citizens to apply for return of property that was nationalized. The Catholic Church made a claim for restoration of the island on Lake Bled and it was not until October 2008 that an agreement was reached that allowed the island to remain state-owned, while the church was given to the Bled parish of the Ljubljana Archdiocese. I have not been able to determine if regular church services are held there, or just weddings. (cannundrum.blogspot.de)

Equestrian of Ban Josip Jelačić at the Ban Jelačić Square Equestrian of Ban Josip Jelačić at the Ban Jelačić Square

Ban Jelačić Square (Croatian: Trg bana Josipa Jelačića or Trg bana Jelačića is the central square of the city of Zagreb, Croatia, named after ban Josip Jelačić. The official name is Trg bana Jelačića. It is colloquially referred to as Jelačić plac (derived from Platz, the German word for square or plaza) or simply Trg ("the square").

The square has existed since the XVII century. Its first name was Harmica. It features buildings belonging to different architectural styles ranging from classicism, secession and modernism. The oldest standing building is situated at 18 Ban Jelačić Square. It was built in 1827.

The square features a large statue of ban Josip Jelačić on a horse, created by Austrian sculptor Anton Dominik Fernkorn. The statue was originally installed on October 19, 1866 by Austrian authorities, despite protests from Zagreb councilmen. It also caused unease amongst Hungarians, who see Jelacic as a traitor.

The statue was removed in 1947 as the new Communist government of Yugoslavia denounced Jelačić as a "servant of foreign interests". Antun Bauer, a curator of the Gliptoteka gallery, kept it in the gallery cellar. The square was renamed Trg Republike (Republic Square).

The 1987 Summer Universiade (World University Games) was held in Zagreb. The city used the event to renovate and revitalize the city. The square was repaved with stone blocks and made part of the downtown pedestrian zone. A part of the Medveščak stream, which had been running under the sewers since 1898, was uncovered by workers. This part formed the Manduševac fountain that was also covered in 1898.

Count Josip Jelačić of Bužim (16 October 1801 – 20 May 1859; also spelled Jellachich, Jellačić or Jellasics; in Croatian: Josip grof Jelačić Bužimski) was the Ban of Croatia between 23 March 1848 and 19 May 1859. He was a member of the House of Jelačić and a noted army general, remembered for his military campaigns during the Revolutions of 1848 and for his abolition of serfdom in Croatia.

Denomination in numerals are on top and bottom, in words on right and left sides.

Comments:

Designer: M. D. Djuric (an inscription is on bottom: Израдио М. Д. Ђурић)

Milenko ĐURIĆ (Zemun, 1894 - Zagreb, 1945), painter. He studied at the Art School in Zagreb and at the Prague Academy. Since 1918 Professor of decorative painting at the School of Crafts in Zagreb. Worked in oil, watercolor, and various graphic techniques (etching, woodcut).

This denomination of paper money from 25 pairs in 1921, presents the smallest paper money in the history of money Yugoslavia.

In making a determination on the preparation of this paper money (3 March 1921), with already existed coins of 25 Para (since December 1920), but - it seems - even it was not enough to meet the needs of cash circulation, which was officially listed as a reason for making paper money this denomination (in the decision of the Minister of Finance of 18 June 1921 on releasing it into circulation).

The legal basis for the issuance of bank notes of 25 Para (or 1/4 Dinara) was the decision of the Ministerial Council Number 3207 of 3 March 1921, which was not published, but is referred to as the basis for the decision of the Minister of Finance on the same release into circulation. Unpublished decision of the Ministerial Council at a later was replaced by the Law on printing banknotes of 1/4 Dinara and replace banknotes of the Austro-Hungarian Bank of 1, 2 and 10 Crowns.

Mentioned law (v. Ref. 2), the Minister of Finance was authorized to draft these bills in the printing or institution that is best, and to 200 million units with the total value of 50 million dinars. Of these printed banknotes, the Ministry of Finance received 199,127.376 pieces, namely: Zagreb 140,000.000 pieces and from Novi Sad 59,127.376 pieces.

This national banknotes was put into circulation on June 14, 1921, since it was "mandatory and legally recognized means of payment".

In connection with this bill it is interesting that the Minister of Finance, even before its release into circulation, determined that in one payment no one is obliged to receive "more than 10 Dinara (40) Crown in denominations of 1/4 Dinara.

It is not known when exactly began the withdrawal of banknotes from circulation. One would assume that this happened in 1925, when it started with the withdrawal from circulation of two small Dinara-crown banknotes 1 and 1/2 Dinara. It is known, however, that the Minister of Finance by the order laid down "to the rest of the national banknotes of the din. 1, 1/2 and 1/4 withdrawn from circulation until 30 September 1927 replacing by the metal money", and that after that day "unsubstituted state paper money loses all significance".